904 to 727

-

dart6

Reaction score
I have a 67 dart and want to swap the 273/904 to a 408/727.
Can I use the same trans crossmember ect thx

Crossmember will work, same with all of the transmission linkages.

You will have to get the driveshaft shortened by about 2" and rebalanced. If you plan to upgrade the axle to an 8 3/4, now is a good time as that will require another driveshaft shorten/rebalance.

Oh, the 727 may take a larger yoke for the driveshaft.

I never understood why guys swap to a power robbing 727 over a 904. 904 built will handle a stroker small block and not waste power.

.............and if you have a console shifter, you need to make sure the 727 has the bracket holes on the bottom of the trans. I'm not certain, but I believe the kickdown pivot is somewhat different. I use a manual VB so no kickdown.

thx for the replies, as far as using a 904 what is that going to cost to build

thx for the replies, as far as using a 904 what is that going to cost to build

Depends on what it needs. First off a 67 904 isn't the best to build on. It has the smaller input shaft and the converter will have to be specially built to mate up the larger diameter crankshaft register that 68 and newer engines used.

I'm all for using a 904 too, just find a newer one. I'm not a 904 guru but have rear 72 and newer are the better ones to build on. Just watch out that you don't get a lock up trans.

My engine builder thinks I'm wasting time/money/weight by using a 727 behind my 408. But I already had it rebuilt so I'm using it. If I was starting from scratch, I'd buy a 904 off of CL for $50 and start with that.

i did not know about the pre 68 904, i'm sure i have later non lockup 904 as well

^ pre-72 valve bodies = no part throttle kickdown, they shift soft n' low no matter what you do, manual shifting is always great though!

-
Back