904 to 727

-
GЯEENHOЯNET;247965 said:
the correct answer would be torque.

the origional poster isnt puting out enough torque to break a 904, the guy who ported my cylinder heads built two duster drag cars with 340's and built 904s, both cars run UNDER 11.5s. Both 904s have held up without a single problem. And if your building a motor that will split a 904 than its a hell of a motor and odds are your going to break a 727 too, even the 727 isnt unbreakable

GЯEENHOЯNET;247986 said:
yah i guess that explains why a 71 chrysler newport with a 360 came with 904.

yes, but once again, it was 1971 and it was technology from 71. Yes from the factory 35 years ago a 727 would take more abuse than a 904. With the technology we have today to build transmissions, the 904 is more than enough to handle the power

Are you guys having this argument again? Is anybody disputing the fact that clutch for clutch, band for band, pound for pound, the 727 is much stronger than the 904?

Regardless of what vehicle they may be installed in? Or their intended purpose?

You know, there was a time when I used to get caught up in these things but now it is kind of fun to just sit back and watch the fur fly.

Chuck

there is no arguement. the 727 is a much stronger and more durable trans then the 904. period.
where not talkin about clutches here, or bands getting erased. but hey...what do i know. i'm surprised with "todays" technology the market isn't flooded with 904 bein offered for the BB. if they can put a GM trans behind a MoPar, then a 904 should be a piece of cake to put behind a BB.
Cheers.

my car launches ok with a wheel in the air

yup...seen the pic. build a better chasis next time.

GЯEENHOЯNET;248073 said:
there is no arguement. the 727 is a much stronger and more durable trans then the 904. period.
where not talkin about clutches here, or bands getting erased. but hey...what do i know. i'm surprised with "todays" technology the market isn't flooded with 904 bein offered for the BB. if they can put a GM trans behind a MoPar, then a 904 should be a piece of cake to put behind a BB.
Cheers.

yup...seen the pic. build a better chasis next time.

no need to .. the car does what it needs to... and the drag strip is secondary.

let me ask you what you are running, engine, transmission, car, quartermile times ect....

timeslips.jpg

mild 440, A833-B, 69 Charger 500, 3580lbs, etc would be street car.
Demon (now sold) ran 11.20's. 1 sec. slower and 130lbs lighter then this pig.(same engine).

now..post your info

I don't think there is any question about which tranny is stronger. The 727 is stronger. Now as far as everything else.......It's all about preference. We could sit here and debate till the end of never. It seems to me that the big block guys swear by the 727 and us small block guys like the 904. I like both since they will make my car go down the street.(of course the 904 will get me there quicker:))

GЯEENHOЯNET;248322 said:
drag strip is secondary...well that explains the 904 then.
get real.

Oh please,my duster sees more track then street now,but is still a "street car" running 11.02's @120+ with 60's in the 1.40's and the 904 is still holding up after 3 seasons,on the street i run street tires at the track i put the m/t e.t. radials on and beat up on overweight bigblocks ..lol...

big deal. my mostly street drivin heavy, heavy charger runs 8/10 & 9mph faster. tires on the street are the tires I rape smallblocks with at the track. Then I drive the 90 miles back home.

GЯEENHOЯNET;248415 said:
big deal. my mostly street drivin heavy, heavy charger runs 8/10 & 9mph faster. tires on the street are the tires I rape smallblocks with at the track. Then I drive the 90 miles back home.

No its not a big deal,but it is funny when the owners of those big blocks come over to my car in the pits and see it was a small block in a "street car "that just smoked em'..lol,,,,

GЯEENHOЯNET;248368 said:
timeslips.jpg

mild 440, A833-B, 69 Charger 500, 3580lbs, etc would be street car.
Demon (now sold) ran 11.20's. 1 sec. slower and 130lbs lighter then this pig.(same engine).

now..post your info

your not even running a 727? your running a four speed?

GЯEENHOЯNET;248322 said:
get real.

That really isn't called for. Different people have different opinions but to personally insult someone or dis their car because he don't agree with you is just childish.

I see your new on the board. That's not a way to start out, insulting people. Maybe you should join Moparts?

That really isn't called for. Different people have different opinions but to personally insult someone or dis their car because he don't agree with you is just childish.

I see your new on the board. That's not a way to start out, insulting people. Maybe you should join Moparts?

insult? i'm not insulting anybody. i like joe, he'll tell you i express myself with a little more "to the point" kinda thing.

and to thanson_mopar.. yah its a 4-speed. not bad eh? :-D

GЯEENHOЯNET;248469 said:
and to thanson_mopar.. yah its a 4-speed. not bad eh? :-D

have you had any experience with 904 and 727 on street and track?
any big difference in performance?
maybe you have had a 904 die on you?

I have a mild 360 8:1 with the Edelbrock rmp intake, cam, and 650 carb. I plan on getter the rpm alum. heads and later on the EFI kit.

I wont be doing too much drag stuff, mainly street and auto cross.

I want something that will give me quick acceleration, not looking for top speed.

The 904 i have already has a shift kit, the rebuilder told me. Im not sure about the torque converter.

is there a place to buy the good internal components and have someone install them?

They both have an application. I think the street or strip SB is fine wih the 904. But to tell you the truth in my SG 67 cuda the glide had it all over both of them. Launch wasn't as violent than the 727 and the times were 1/2 tenth quicker in the 1/8. Still 60 ft'ed 1.25. Bottom line, every trans has it's "best" application.

have you had any experience with 904 and 727 on street and track?
any big difference in performance?
maybe you have had a 904 die on you?

don't matter to me IF i'm runnin' a smallblock, but.... I hate sinking $$$ into something when I don't have to. IE: $$$ into a 904 to make it almost as strong as a stock 727. i can make up the tenth to tenth and a half elsewhere. If anybody tells yah a 904 gets more ET then that, there full of crap.

-
Back