904 to 833 questions

-

lightweight

Reaction score
I've went through alot of these posts and have'nt found all the answers I was looking for, so I will try a new post, sorry for all the questions in advance, first time swapping to a 4 speed. I just got a 4 speed conversion kit off of ebay, comes with bellhousing,fork,zbar,clutch and brake pedal,and clutch rod,shifter and linkage. Says it will bolt up to small block mopar. I realize I will need clutch pressure plate flywheel throw out bearing, but which one? Do I need to get the same sized clutch and pressure plate? 10.5? And is there anything else off of the bell housing like brackets that I will need? The pictures of the housing there was'nt anything on it. And I have a automatic center console but not sure If I will be able to reuse it or modify it to work, I think I may need to put a shifter hump in??? I also have a 4 inch scat crank, I've read automatic cranks are'nt deep enough to except the shaft from the 833 trans, do you think I will run into this with this crank? And when ordering the flywheel will I also need to order a bushing for it or will it come with one. If I am missing anything please let me know. I don't have access to a car with a 4 speed to look at and have'nt found any pics on the net to look at. Thank U in advance.

Your best bet is to call Brewers Performance,they will answer all your 4 speed conversion questions.good luck

You'll need a floor shift hump and a manual trans front console plate. All the small block cranks I've seen have been drilled deep enough but not all of them are machined to accept a pilot bushing. You can have the crank or bushing machined to work or just use
a magnum pilot BEARING which will fit right into the end of the crank register where a converter button would go. Not knowing which vehicle the 4 speed parts came from or which vehicle they're going to be installed, there is no way to know what else you will need.

The trans I don't know what it came out of, I would ask again but not getting much feed back if he knows at all. The 4 speed is going in a 68 dart with a 318 block with a stroker scat crank. Front console plate I am not sure what that is, does it go under the peddles to stiffin it? I hope the crank will work it's already in the engine and running.

The shifter goes through the floor console but the plate it goes through is different between a manual and automatic. If the changeover came out of a '67-76 A-body, all the clutch linkage, bell housing, and shifter (if it's a console type shifter), and pedal assembly should work with the car. We're assuming the bell housing matches the transmission. I can't imagine an aftermarket crank company making one that wouldn't fit both manual and automatic applications but you might want to contact them to be sure.

Its a pretty easy swap.
You will need the bracket that bolts to the driver side frame.That is what your z-bar will pivit on.There is a 6 cly z bar and a v-8 z-bar it probabaly doesnt make much difference which one you use on a street car.
I always use a 10.5 alum bell housing.There is a another brackett you will need to have that is what your z-bar pivits on the gas pedal side,there is different brackets for different applications get the right one for yours.
There is a plastic bushing kit also you will need for the z-bar.Then there is the clutch adjustment hardware that you will also need.I always get a 10.5 hays street/strip clutch ,presure plate and throw out bearing.Brewers sells the pilot bushing you will need for your crank.Thats about it

-
Back