904 Tranny gasket replacement

-

Vali68

Reaction score
I plan on replacing the leaking gasket around the pan of the tranny on my 68 Valiant with the 904 tranny. If I have my oil bucket that holds 5 gallons of oil, will it be enough to catch all the tranny fluid that will come out when I drop the tranny pan?

Do I need to replace the tranny filter as well if it has one?

5 gallons or 5 quarts?

5 Gallons, no problem.

5 Quarts, maybe. Start it and run it for a minute in nuetral to make sure the torque converter is pumped full.

Actually i have buckets that will hold both. But I was just curious if the converter holds fluid as well and will that fluid try to dump once I start dropping the tranny pan. What I don't want is a big mess in the garage by overflowing tranny fluid.

Actually i have buckets that will hold both. But I was just curious if the converter holds fluid as well and will that fluid try to dump once I start dropping the tranny pan. What I don't want is a big mess in the garage by overflowing tranny fluid.

If you start it for a few seconds first there will be lots less fluid to catch. (2-3) quarts.
As mentioned above, it will fill the converter and you will have a lot less in the pan.
It WILL however dribble a little the entire time you have the pan off as it slowly drains back out of the converter.
Not too bad though.

Tip:
I put a self drilling sheet metal screw in the pan right under the filler tube so when I want to drain it I just take the screw out and let it drain.
WAY less mess.
Then while I have the pan off I put the screw back in it and dab a little RTV around it on the inside of the pan and put it back on.

I fill it and fire it up immediately and have never had any problems doing it this way.

As long as the pan is off replace the filter an ounce of prevention is always a good thing.
As for converter draining back it's just enough to be annoying when you put on the new filter.

As for converter draining back it's just enough to be annoying when you put on the new filter.

Hahha

Yep, those are the words I should have used.

Just enought to make it to your armpit if you are not paying attention.:D

-
Back