904 tranny rebuild

-

johnmucci

moparmucci
Reaction score
So I have no 2nd gear in my 66 dart...904 tranny....put a post on here and Charlie S found a tranny shop here in Deland, Fl. dropped the car off and they said I need a rebuild as the band is broken...no charge for inspection..Cost to rebuild..$900..Am I getting a fair deal???... I know 904's are easy to rebuild however I don't have the time or tools..etc...
Also, What would be a good rebuild kit?? 360/425hp engine....

Opinions please......thanks!

You can buy a 904 from 727 auto cheeper than that $900.00 price and get a trans that is done right from a shop that specializes in Mopar.

You broke a band, replace the band.....I dont think you need any special tools besides maybe a slide hammer to get the pump out to change out a band as all the tolerances are not going to be disturbed...but its your cash. Id give it a shot.

Learn to build it yourself. It's not that hard to do.

Should be able to do it yourself for under $300 easy, including any reference materials, ATSG manual, video, etc.

Maybe the band apply block is so bent that it just fell out and you need a new one. Or maybe the band adjuster just backed off. If the band actually broke I would expect the front clutch retainer to be toast from an improperly seated band just riding around on the clutch retainer. If it contacts the lugs that hold the sun shell..**** is gonna be all fkd up in there.

-
Back