904 trans leaks

-
6 quarts should be safe, depending how long the pan is off.
(Less than an hour)

There are a lot of places they can leak that look like the pan is leaking, so try to be sure about that.
1. Dipstick tube
2. Shifter shaft seal
3. Throttle pressure rod seal
4. front band adjuster nut

Those A518/42RE,42RH trans pan gaskets with rubber over steel are killer if you can do it.

try to keep the bolts in order. I dont know if a 904 has different sizes but the trans I worked on had 2-3 longer through bolts that didnt seat in the blind holes. Could have been replacements. USe inch/lb wrench and tighten in a diagonal pattern. Agree on the wire core rubber gaskets but they are much thicker than the cork so dont strip out a bolt that can only reach 2 threads.

Agree on the wire core rubber gaskets but they are much thicker than the cork so dont strip out a bolt that can only reach 2 threads.

You mean like if you have an aftermarket floor shifter and it has a bracket that bolts to the pain rail? :D

Don't ask how I know please. LOL

Don't forget the inner speedo pinon gear seal (and outer o-ring).

Definitely don't ask...

Dont forget ye olde sector shaft seal
s-l300.jpg

Dont forget ye olde sector shaft seal
s-l300.jpg

So common for those to leak. They do make a special tool to remove and install those externally without removing the valve body if it is leaking:

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 178
Thanks guys for all the input. I jacked the car up and got a better look. Turns out the fluid is brown (oil) rather than red. It appears my rear main seal is leaking :/. Will wait till winter to fix that one because it's not horrible and I want to drive the thing!

Dumb question time, what seals the front band adjuster nut?

Before you rip the rear main out, check the distributor o ring, oil pressure sensor, rear intake rtv/gasket and valve cover gaskets. They can all leak and run down the back of the motor and drip off the bellhousing.

Before you rip the rear main out, check the distributor o ring, oil pressure sensor, rear intake rtv/gasket and valve cover gaskets. They can all leak and run down the back of the motor and drip off the bellhousing.

Yep^

-
Back