904 trans question

-

wedgie

Reaction score
I have an early (1965) 904 behind a mild 360 in my Dart. It has a 2200 convertor from Pat Blais and an adapter to fit the larger crank register in the 360 along with the correct B&M flex plate. Currently using a reverse pattern manual valve body. Stock 1965 cable operated shifter. My question is..........would I be better off (for consistency) by using the stock valve body with a TF2 shift kit, in place of my manual valve body and then tying the kickdown back to full throttle position? It seems that I would get consistent upshifts at whatever rpm the governor allows. I have no room for downshift linkage. This is a race car only. Am I on the right track or do I need to go back to the drawing board?

No that won't be better. If you want to do something else get a late model case and an air or solenoid shifter setup with a Hurst Quarter Stick.

There is also the Turbo Action E shift but it's expensive.

The kickdown is meant to be moving, not just tied back. You're better off with the manual valve body to race, but I agree about going to the later trans and single external cable shift. My 65 has the same shifter, and I could see it being an issue.

Change to a manual shift valve body for a 1964 (actually just change the "manual" valve, and the detent "comb" in your 65 VB), and use a push button shifter, like I did. Mounted on a console between the bucket seats.

I put a newer 904 in my 65 Barracuda. Installed a A&A manual reverse valve body with a dynamic converter.. I use the Hurst pistol grip shifter and it works great. You can use the neutral safety switch that comes on the shifter. Not much room for the factory 3 pin plug.
HKeller

-
Back