904 Trans rebuild help

-

38 Dodge

Reaction score
Started my 904 trans rebuild watched the videos posted here followed up to the forward pump removal, I don't have his special tool nor do I have a a slide hammer, and have not seen anything on this site about removing the forward pump assembly.
Does anyone have any helpful hints on how I can get the pump out?
Thanks in advance
Ron

Two 3/8 threaded rods in the 2 threaded pump holes, then put a wood 2x4 across the bellhousing, then drill 2 holes in the wood, then place the wood over the rods, then thread a washer and nut down the rod. thighten the nuts down at the same time and the pump will come right out.

I made my own slide hammer with a piece of all-thread and small piece of iron pipe with a cap on it. Drilled a hole in the cap for the all-thread to go through and screwed the cap onto the pipe. Then you just use a nut and washer on the cap side to create a stop for the pipe. Don't remember the thread pitch but it worked without damaging anything.

69MOPE's idea might be easier and cheaper if you don't have the pipe and cap laying around.

Thanks for teh help,
I will try 69MOPE suggestion some time later today, and update this post when I get teh pump out.
Thanks again FABO members are always here and ready to help

Soak the edge of the pump with some WD-40 or other penetrant & allow it to weep into the rubber seal if it's a little stubborn.

Take bolts out of pump, I put two longer bolts in so the pump doesn't drop out. stand it up on bellhousing.

Tap/hit tailshaft with a deadblow hammer.

I've never needed or used a slidehammer to take a pump out.

Take bolts out of pump, I put two longer bolts in so the pump doesn't drop out. stand it up on bellhousing.

Tap/hit tailshaft with a deadblow hammer.

I've never needed or used a slidehammer to take a pump out.

Another long timer I see. :-D

Rent a slide hammer from an auto parts store. You get all your money back when you take the tool back.

I got the front pump out I ended up have to hammer the tail shaft and get the pump to drop out. I do have a couple of other questions that someone should be able to help, i hope?
first on the back band I don't remember seeing and I don't have a flat metal keeper piece. I know one should have been there but I really don't remember seeing it in place. So the question is Where can I get one?
Second ? on the washers between the clutch back show a lot of wear, I don't see a replacement washer in my rebuild kit. So my question is where can I get one of them also.
Thanks

Thanks for the info, I ordered my washers I need, but I cannot find any of the band keeper tabs anywhere does anyone have one know or have one I can buy?
Ron

-
Back