904 transmission fittings

-

dukes69

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
All, what are the actual fittings (type/size) on the transmission and radiator side of the cooler lines? I am going to make my own so they are cleaner but I need to find new fittings for both ends. The last goomba used what I can only describe as backyard water hose to fix the lines and zip tied them all along the drivers torsion bar....did I mention I bought the Cuda from a Mustang specialty place????:banghead:

904 transmission lines are 1/8 npt on the case.

And I'm pretty sure they are 3/8 NPT to 1/2 flare at the radiator end.

No, they aren't 1/2. Flare is always called out by tube size, except for stuff like power steering and master cylinder which sometimes use odd sizes to "key" the lines.

For example, I used a GM power box on my old landcruiser. The pressure fitting takes 3/8 tube, but uses what would be 7/16 inverted flare nut instead of 3/8. This is to "key" the fittings so they cannot be switched. The return was common 3/8 inverted flare.

I believe these are 5/16 what is called SAE flare. This is the common (45 degree) stuff you find in the hardware stores and much of the time is brass.

This is different than AN same as JIC (industrial / hydraulics) which is 37 degree flare. Some sizes of AN/ JIC won't screw onto SAE flare, and some will. No6 (3/8) is one size that will not.

The material it's made of does not tell you what it is. SAE can be brass or steel, but not much alloy, but it COULD be. AN is many times alloy, especially aftermarket, but can be steel or could be brass. JIC is commonly steel

So you cannot go by material. So far as I know, OEM never used AN / JIC on any common passenger car or light truck.

The transmission, after you unscrew the adapters and get right to the case, are most definately pipe, but I don't recall "without looking."

Mine were 1/8" NPT going into the radiator, same as the trans case

Mine too.
I was thinking nut size instead of tube size, and thats why Del had to explain the CRAP out of it for me.

Just kidding Del, you know I have to taunt you sometimes just for the fun of it. :D

I blame it on some 15 years in the auto / truck parts business. One thing I used to "know the hell out of" was fittings, but that was before so much of this "new" proprietary stuff came along, like whatever'in 'ell those spring girdle fittings "they" use on EFI

like whatever'in 'ell those spring girdle fittings "they" use on EFI

Yea, I don't have flippin clue what those are called, but the wife's BMW has those damn things all over the engine.
I guess it's better than having all the connectors having the plastic clip busted off like chevy or ford (or most others) though.

No, they aren't 1/2. Flare is always called out by tube size, except for stuff like power steering and master cylinder which sometimes use odd sizes to "key" the lines.

I believe that they are 1/8 pipe thread going into the trans, with the "flare thread" on the other side.

I have used the "reverse" of the flare. Ie. 1/8" pipe thread with female 5/16 flare going into the trans and radiator, then you can use the 5/16" steel tubing with the male threads to go into the fittings. It's not original, but it works.

The original fittings are 1/8" pipe thread with 5/16" male coming out of the trans and radiator. Then use the 5/16 female on the trans lines.

Thanks guys. I am not concerned about originality just making it work and look good, hence me making my own and nt paying $$ for a reproduction set. I do the same with my hard brake lines as well, much cleaner and easier.

Randy

-
Back