904 vs 727 auto floor linkage

-

VSTwister

Reaction score
I'm looking into converting auto column to auto floor with OEM center console, and trying to make sure this will work before I take the plunge. This has been discussed before, but the old threads I've found have photos gone and I've not seen positive confirmation on this exactly:

Was the OEM auto floor console shifter setup originally intended to work with 904 cars? If so, what is different, if anything from the 727 cars? The reason I ask is in my research, I came across these old threads.
Console shifter pivot brackets - Info
904 transmission rod problem

When looking into the shifter pivot bracket (or gearshift control torque bracket), repros only mention it being used for 727s and I can't find anything to confirm if 904s have one or use the same.
1972 Dodge Charger Parts | MD2540 | 1966-74 Automatic Transmission Gearshift Control Torque Bracket | Classic Industries
1966-74 A B E-Body Gearshift Control Torque Bracket

So it all got me thinking...what else might be different?

Thanks for any help.

The shift shafts should be in the same location for 904 & 727 so the linkage will interchange.
The one thing you do need to check is for the boss that the bracket mounts to on the tail shaft housing. Most later trans had it but a truck trans may not. It will be two loop holes sitting downwards at about a 45° angle.

Yes they interchange. I went from a slant with 904 to a 340 with 727. 1967 dart gt. Also have change many others. As mentioned truck trannys usually don’t have the proper tail housing for the bracket. But u can easily change the housing. Kim

My rebuilt 904 shouldn't be a truck trans, and I still have my original 904, but I'll check into this to be sure. Thanks!

What mounting are you referring to? See photo of my old 904.

20190828_211807.jpg

On bottom of tail housing in front of the mount, should have two bolt holes loops for the shifter bracket to fit into.

Found this over on the Moparts tech. And NOW where that bracket makes a little more sense to me, although I'm still not sure how the linkage below the floor on the tranny works. I'll need to see if my shop manuals show this. I'll look again at it all tonight.

tailsht01.jpg

Last edited:
The bracket bolts to the trans tailshaft. The shaft comes through the floorboard and pivots in the bracket on the tailshaft. A rod connects from the vertical shaft to the transmission lever. This rod is adjustable.

-
Back