904 vs 727

-

edward9egan

Reaction score
right now i have a 904 with a 225 slant 6 i am going to do some performance upgrades. i need to replace the trans no matter what and was wondering if it is better to stick to the 904 or go for the 727.

Yes,, Taxi's, Trucks,Vans.Some cars on special order. Most I've found were in Vans.

2 words for you - "rotating mass". Everything in a 727 is bigger than in the 904, which equals more "parasitic drag", or "parasitic power loss".

I would agree. a 904 shifts the same and at the same points, has the same gear ratios but takes less horsepower to turn. Unless you're going to find 500 ft/lbs of torque and 500 bhp, you would be much better off with a 904.

Oh, also and probably more important to the budget build. NO NEED FOR FINDING NEW YOKES, DRIVESHAFTS ETC.

Cool thanks everyone. Last thing, are there any modifications I should do to the trans I have heard of people putting in different gears and things is any of that necessary.

It'll depend on how much horsepower you're going to put through it and what you're going to use the car for. A street car build is going to be different than a drag car build. In their stock form, a 727 is a heavier duty transmission than a 904 but the 904 is the one to build, and after it's done, will be a stronger, lighter, less power-robbing than a stock 727.

-
Back