904 won't do anything

-

Robert Munoz

Reaction score
ok ...here goes ...my 66 valiant had a 360 backed by a A904 ran fine but got **** mileage so I replaced the 360 with a 318 I bought a new converter for the trans and installed them both now here's the fun part the motor runs great but the trans will not go into any gear or do anything ..and befor you ask yes the new converter was installed properly and lined up with the pump ( I went over this 5 times to be sure )...the fluid is at the correct level with a new filter ...there is no sounds or anything when you try to shift ..and there's no fluid coming out of the cooler lines as well ..but the converter is full I removed the plug and fluid came out ...any kind of advice would help because I'm stumped ...thanks

What is the one thing that changed?
You just answered your own question.

The converter has to double drop, turn and push till it goes in/down, keep turning till it drops again. Pretty common problem if never did it before, not getting in in all the way.

The motor ,flex plate ,converter ...have all been changed ...best I can figure is I was sold the wrong converter ...
What makes you think you got the wrong converter?
If the transmission is a NON LOCKUP, the it will have 27 splines for the input shaft.
If the transmission is a LOCK-UP, it will have 26 splines.
Count the splines on the input shaft of the transmission.

Transman probably nailed it! If your trans was built before '67 you will have an 18 spline input shaft. A '67 & up non lock-up transmission has a 27 Spline input. If you put a late converter in an early trans the oil pump will be driven but the input shaft will not. Don't ask me how I know this. LOL. Here is a photo of the 2 different input shafts.
29750939es.jpg

Kickdown, I too am having this problem & your post has answered my question. My next question is, Do you know if I can convert my 18 spline to a 27 spline easily?

The 18 to 27 spline conversion can be done if you have a 67 & later 904 as a donor. You need obviously the input shaft & forward clutch drum assembly, the reverse/high clutch drum & the reaction shaft support from the donor transmission. With any luck the donor transmission will have the snap ring groove in the rev/high clutch drum cut higher to enable 5 frictions to be fitted.

Last edited:
-
Back