906 head capabilities?

-

Csommers

Reaction score
I’ve been working on my Dart for far too long now and when it’s almost time to finish it I’m having engine problems. I believe most of the issue is these knock off procomp heads. On the last start up an unfortunate series of events led to a bent valve. Can I get away with running 906 heads? The only concern I have is with my cam. The block is a 400 stroked to a 470, zero deck and the cam card is below. Thanks!

IMG_6311.png

Replace the valve and fix the issue. Which cc runner heads do you have?
What is the problem, Piston to valve clearance?
Or cam installed incorrectly?
You won't be able to run a stock as cast head to that lift I believe the guides heights will have to be machined lower.
I can take a look at some stuff and measure it out tomorrow but you're not doing the engine any favors.
And that cam is MASSIVE, tell us a bit more about your 470..
I also built one

Laroy Engines has run over 700HP through 906 heads.

Replace the valve and fix the issue. Which cc runner heads do you have?
What is the problem, Piston to valve clearance?
Or cam installed incorrectly?
You won't be able to run a stock as cast head to that lift I believe the guides heights will have to be machined lower.
I can take a look at some stuff and measure it out tomorrow but you're not doing the engine any favors.
And that cam is MASSIVE, tell us a bit more about your 470..
I also built one
Issue is I have little to no info on the heads. They are procomp heads and I’m running Harland sharp roller rockers. Had someone look at it and determined the heads had the wrong springs. New springs were purchased and I’m having the same issue where it bends push rods but this time it bent a pushrod, knocked off a valve spring, dropped a valve and kissed the piston. The piston looks ok but I would much rather swap out these heads for something reliable and maybe more reputable. The only positive about these heads were they cc’d to ~84ccs and knocked the compression down to make it a little more street friendly.

Yeah and he charges several thousand dollars to build a set of heads capable of that. Matter of fact he won't even do them without up front payments because people realize 1/2 way through the job they're wasting money

Yeah and he charges several thousand dollars to build a set of heads capable of that. Matter of fact he won't even do them without up front payments because people realize 1/2 way through the job they're wasting money
I was just stating what they ARE capable of. All the rest is just dramatics.

That cam is insanely huge for anything that will ever
see the street longer than it takes to get on a trailer.
it sounds like your Valvetrain may not accommodate the lift
on your camshaft.

Issue is I have little to no info on the heads. They are procomp heads and I’m running Harland sharp roller rockers. Had someone look at it and determined the heads had the wrong springs. New springs were purchased and I’m having the same issue where it bends push rods but this time it bent a pushrod, knocked off a valve spring, dropped a valve and kissed the piston. The piston looks ok but I would much rather swap out these heads for something reliable and maybe more reputable. The only positive about these heads were they cc’d to ~84ccs and knocked the compression down to make it a little more street friendly.
Okay, yeah sounds like there's plenty of issues there. @MidnightSwinger might be able to steer you in the right direction.
What's your compression 11.4 ish
Did you measure the proper length of push rods ? That might be the entire issue of being too long .

Sort of but those capabilities aren't really close to what real world dudes can get out of them.
My porter in Warner Robins could. He's that good. I'm sure there are others. Unfortunately, after my last slant 6 head, he swore off cast iron forever. lol

My porter in Warner Robins could. He's that good. I'm sure there are others. Unfortunately, after my last slant 6 head, he swore off cast iron forever. lol
Yeah if the right short block, cam and induction is there a "not the best head " can still make really good power

Okay, yeah sounds like there's plenty of issues there. @MidnightSwinger might be able to steer you in the right direction.
What's your compression 11.4 ish
Did you measure the proper length of push rods ? That might be the entire issue of being too long .
The cam is huge, I’m thinking there is a piston to valve issue. I know with my flat tops in the 383 just below zero deck,clears with the MP .528.

I don't mind doing port work on iron, don't have to worry about getting stabbed to death by the sharp shards from aluminum. If only a nice atomizing finish could be made in cast iron like aluminum with a burr finish

That cam is insanely huge for anything that will ever
see the street longer than it takes to get on a trailer.
it sounds like your Valvetrain may not accommodate the lift
on your camshaft.
It is a “street” car. I’m not looking to daily it or go on long trips. Just some local cruising stuff and shows

IMG_9396.png

IMG_9398.png

Can you post a picture of the heads and rockers?

The cam is huge, I’m thinking there is a piston to valve issue. I know with my flat tops in the 383 just below zero deck,clears with the MP .528.
So the previous owner of this engine ran worked 906s before a bolt got dropped And wrecked the head. He then switched to Indys. As I stated up top i got little to no info on the current head and the compressed thickness on my HG is .040

Gonna run that big a cam, need to check retainer to guide clearance, valve to piston clearance, pushrod length, rocker geometry. With whatever head you end up using.

Can you post a picture of the heads and rockers?
Unfortunately I have no close ups on anything as it’s not at my house. Here’s what I have on had. All I know is that they are ProComp heads, ~84cc. We had measured the valves at one point but I can’t remember the size off the top of my head. COMP 924 springs (Valve Springs, Dual, 1.509 in. Outside Diameter, 347 lbs./in. Rate, 1.175 in. Coil Bind Height), Harland Sharp roller rockers .650 offset, 1.5 ratio and COMP Mag push rods 8.710”

IMG_8931.jpeg

Attachment.jpeg

So i would probably redegree in you're cam.
Also measure that your piston is truly .000
Put together a head and put some clay on your pistons, spin it over by hand and pull the head off and check your clearance. Chances are it's a simple fix.

Unfortunately I have no close ups on anything as it’s not at my house. Here’s what I have on had. All I know is that they are ProComp heads, ~84cc. We had measured the valves at one point but I can’t remember the size off the top of my head. COMP 924 springs (Valve Springs, Dual, 1.509 in. Outside Diameter, 347 lbs./in. Rate, 1.175 in. Coil Bind Height), Harland Sharp roller rockers .650 offset, 1.5 ratio and COMP Mag push rods 8.710”

View attachment 1716147183

View attachment 1716147184
Nothing wrong with those heads, just get them set up correctly and check everything in mock up

He's retired and his head porter son is sculpting metal antlers now.
Jim is probably getting ready to go elk hunting
That 906 head could never be duplicated

I forgot to mention that it’s not an immediate problem. The motor bent 2 push rods before. They were replaced and after about maybe 10 start ups and no more than 1.5 hours of idle / timing time did we notice something was going on and it was shut off and ripped apart

He's retired and his head porter son is sculpting metal antlers now.
Jim is probably getting ready to go elk hunting

That 906 head could never be duplicated
Sure it can. They can do it.

Hay yall, this isn't up for fu%&ing debate. Knock yourselves out. We all know they did it. They have the Engine Masters place to prove it. I never said anybody can do it or it was easy. Just that it was DONE.

-
Back