906 head capabilities?

-
Unfortunately with the wife not working and child I’m trying to keep it somewhat budget friendly. I’m not sure on which version they are
If they are cnc ported it will be obvious because it will show a surface machined by a tool.
As cast will most likely look like crap like cast does lol.

Unfortunately with the wife not working and child I’m trying to keep it somewhat budget friendly. I’m not sure on which version they are
Race type roller cam combos aren’t very forgiving for stuff not being right.
In the long run it’ll likely end up saving you time and $$ to have someone assess the overall set up with the heads, and recommend a course of action to move forward.

I forgot to mention that it’s not an immediate problem. The motor bent 2 push rods before. They were replaced and after about maybe 10 start ups and no more than 1.5 hours of idle / timing time did we notice something was going on and it was shut off and ripped apart
I have been running a set of pro comp victor knock offs for about 12-14 ish yrs now , they were fully cnc`d and set up , I did have to finish them and fit to my set up , shim the rocker arms , and enlarge the pushod ho;es..
Getting the pushrod clearance on the heads ended up being a ***** , took 3 times to get clearance .
Are you sure the pushrod holes aren`t shoving the pushrod off the valves ?
My procomps are pretty darn good heads. -flow 354 .600 lift , good street heads...

I have been running a set of pro comp victor knock offs for about 12-14 ish yrs now , they were fully cnc`d and set up , I did have to finish them and fit to my set up , shim the rocker arms , and enlarge the pushod ho;es..
Getting the pushrod clearance on the heads ended up being a ***** , took 3 times to get clearance .
Are you sure the pushrod holes aren`t shoving the pushrod off the valves ?
My procomps are pretty darn good heads. -flow 354 .600 lift , good street heads...

You are kinda repeating what I said back on page 2. These heads with big offset rockers usually take some grinding in the pushrod holes. You should see what I had to do to my B1 heads for 7/16 tapered pushrods.

You are kinda repeating what I said back on page 2. These heads with big offset rockers usually take some grinding in the pushrod holes. You should see what I had to do to my B1 heads for 7/16 tapered pushrods.

I bet !

So some interesting find. At TDC the piston is .015 in the hole. Al of the exhaust valves are longer than intake. All of the exhaust valves are bent. With clay in the reliefs, the exhaust valve have a clearance of .010 after 3 rotations and the intake valve never touched the clay. Now it’s time to send it to a shop because I’m lost and the heads need new valves and guides

Pics from the passenger side

IMG_9433.jpeg

IMG_9435.jpeg

IMG_9432.jpeg

Wow, that's fucked up. I think prh nailed it, your valves are probably bbc length.
Your compression ratio should only be around 11.0:1 .
My 470 pistons stick .010 out of the bore after decking.
When your heads get sorted out get yourself a pushrod length checker deal and call up smith bros to have them build you a set.

So these heads will need valve jobs, valves, guides and possible more pushrod clearance. Would I just be better off starting with a fresh set of Victor heads? Victor heads are gonna set me back $1800 w/o springs.

So these heads will need valve jobs, valves, guides and possible more pushrod clearance. Would I just be better off starting with a fresh set of Victor heads? Victor heads are gonna set me back $1800 w/o springs.

Did it break the valve guides or what.

New valves and pushrods aren’t going to solve the valve to piston clearance issue.
To have the in/ex clearance numbers be that far lopsided, it’s likely the cam is installed way retarded.

I would double and triple check the cam installed C/L.

If it’s indeed correct, the easiest way to get more clearance is to run a cam with less duration.

Don’t take this the wrong way…….. but you’re in a bit over your head at this point.
The P/V clearances should have been verified before the heads ever got bolted down.

Measure the valve overall lengths and see if they are close to what I posted previously.

New valves and pushrods aren’t going to solve the valve to piston clearance issue.
To have the in/ex clearance numbers be that far lopsided, it’s likely the cam is installed way retarded.

I would double and triple check the cam installed C/L.

If it’s indeed correct, the easiest way to get more clearance is to run a cam with less duration.

Don’t take this the wrong way…….. but you’re in a bit over your head at this point.
The P/V clearances should have been verified before the heads ever got bolted down.

Measure the valve overall lengths and see if they are close to what I posted previously.
Intake measures 5.33” and exhaust is 5.42”

Since you say the exhaust are bent, do you think that’s influenced your measurement, or are you pretty confident that’s close?
The ex valve diameter is 1.81?

Since you say the exhaust are bent, do you think that’s influenced your measurement, or are you pretty confident that’s close?
The ex valve diameter is 1.81?
Spinning the valve on the mic I’m getting 5.41-5.43. Ex valve is measuring 1.81

Speedmaster shows a 1.81 valve that’s 5.424” long, so that’s likely what are in those heads.
Longer than what they really should be if one were trying get the intake/exhaust tips heights evened out……..and not have to end up sinking the intake valves a bunch to make that happen.

As bent up as those pushrods are, makes me wonder if they were really up to the job.

Speedmaster shows a 1.81 valve that’s 5.424” long, so that’s likely what are in those heads.
Longer than what they really should be if one were trying get the intake/exhaust tips heights evened out……..and not have to end up sinking the intake valves a bunch to make that happen.

As bent up as those pushrods are, makes me wonder if they were really up to the job.
Rods were comp magnums

To answer your question though, I don’t think a set of untouched Victor heads are going to help your situation.

Of course, part of that equation will be how much will it cost to rehab the current heads?

Imo, your first move should be to determine the source of the lack of VP clearance.

Off shelf 7422s. 3/8 shafts
I wasn’t there, and never say never…….. but…….
Since those heads have valves that are .350+ longer than factory heads, then any pushrods designed to work on factory heads…….. in theory would be way short on your heads.
But………mix n match rockers, lifters, cam base circle, etc…….. and you need what you need.

Two different sets of pushrods?
The ones in the first pic are showing obvious contact with the head, and the pushrod cups are black.
The bent ones have pushrod cups that are more of a silver color.

IMG_3379.png

IMG_3381.png

-
Back