91 V8 Questions

-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating buying a 91 Dak with a V8 and auto. The owner doesn’t know much about it except it’s a V8 and automatic. So I’m thinking 5.2 and A500

Q1. I “think” this year was the last year for the throttle body fuel injection. True or could it possibly have MPFI?

Q2. This motor should have a roller cam?

Q3. Being a 91, I don’t think it’s the better Magnum V8. T or F

thanks for any insight!

So I’m thinking 5.2 and A500
I think it will be a 318 & a A500
Q1. I “think” this year was the last year for the throttle body fuel injection. True or could it possibly have MPFI?
Not sure. Did you want that particular FI? MPFI
Q2. This motor should have a roller cam?
Yes it should have a roller.
Q3. Being a 91, I don’t think it’s the better Magnum V8. T or F
This is a point of argument depending on line of site of and direction of build. The OE Magnum head vs LA head argument can be seen debated here over and over.

Here is how I see it. No matter what head it comes with, the first thing is will you keep and use it? If so, stock or upgraded? What are the performance parameters it will be expected to work in? No matter the answer to the above questions, cam accordingly in conjunction with the other parts to be used. IE; Intake, carb/FI abilities, exhaust and compression, etc....

Magnums had better flow but inferior/cheaper (to make) valvetrain design. Id go Mag if I had to make a flow choice in heads, but that also limits your legacy LA intake choices. Probably not noticeable in a mild build. TB injection was a transition between carb and MPI, not the greatest either as it was still a wet intake with all their carb flow pitfalls. Dry MPI intakes can look like a 904 valve body and still flow well as air is much lighter than air/fuel, and there is nothing to fall out of suspension and puddle.

Good point. If it has MPFI, awhich I don’t think it does, someone here knows for sure.... there is the Edelbrock MPFI system. Expensive intake choices for the Magnum save the cheap China stuff.

Hughesengines has a girdle to stiffen the valves like a Chevy. Jomar is the company I think.

One thing to consider also, that should have a different number closed chamber head. 794? I don't remember. But, I think it's basically a Mag head with shaft rockers and LA intake bolt pattern.

One thing to consider also, that should have a different number closed chamber head. 794? I don't remember. But, I think it's basically a Mag head with shaft rockers.

and EGR ports.

Supposed to be a decentish head as far as stock goes.

Not a magnum started 92 360 93
last of the LA roller cam 318
check the pan for tranny some trailer tow had the A518

91 Dakota v8 will be an LA based engine with roller camshaft and TBI as others mentioned, but this is the oddball year that should have an almost Magnum style serpentine belt setup and Magnum style water pump. If so, it will have an AC compressor bracket that is raised to clear the thermostat housing.

Last edited:
My 91 Ramcharger that I bought new, had TBI, an A518, had regular V-Belts, and roller cam. Truck has over 250K on it, and still runs strong. All I ever did was replace the radiator, water pump, and timing gear when I had the water pump off. I also replaced the computer when it left me stranded, and wouldnt start, along with the dizzy.
The 318 always ran good, but was aneamic on power, a sign of the times then.
I just gifted it to my oldest son who is changing it over to a Cummins diesel.
Dave

100_0543.JPG

91 is an LA with a roller cam. Not a magnum. It uses LA heads.
The tranny is an RH not an RE.
42RH I believe.

-
Back