96 dodge 5.9 out of a Ram 1500 with 40.000 miles

-

mauiboy

Reaction score
Aloha I just pick up a 360 Magnum with low miles I am going to put it in my 72 dart swinger and I have a few ? So here go's can I run the stock serpentine belt w/ power steering ? Sorry a little background I will be running a M-1 intake Holly 750 w/ headers I am not going to pull the heads it being the truck engine I would like some suggestions on which Cam I should use ? Back to the belt has any one ran a serpentine belt in a dart ? Big Mahalo for your input

check out magnumswap.com lots of info on belts and oil pans etc. If you stick with Magnum pulleys and timing cover, you will have to run an electric fuel pump on frame.

As far as a cam, you will get 20 different answers from leave it to .680" roller. If sticking with stock heads I would keep it under .460" lift with stock springs. We sell a regrind for $179 that is just a touch larger than the 5.2 cam and a nice step up from the tiny 5.9 cam. Its .450" lift and 203 @ .050. You could go a bit larger on duration and 110 instead of 112 LSA but you are about maxed out at .450-.460"

We have done dozens of these swaps and can help you out with any questions or problems. Call the shop at 541-955-0363 9-6 Pacific Time or check out the FAQ on our site magnummopar.com Evan

I cant add, but I'm sure jealous. Around here, 4HUNDREDthousand would be closer.

Which M1 intake?

Single plane, find a different intake!

Run a Dual Plane, like an Air Gap style.

Mahalo for the reply I will get back to you on the cam

I out a 5.9 Magnum in my '79 Dodge Magnum with use of the stock serpentine belt drives and all the parts attached to it. AKA, the P/S pump.

For an intake, I used the Edelbrock RPM, 650 Edlbrock AVS carb and Hooker headers.
Cam wise, I have not made the leap. Magnumopars has a real nice cam. Your limited on lift. Hughesengines.com has trick retainers to allow more lift.

To recommend a cam, more info from you is needed about your car and it's intended purpose. What trans, gears, tire size, performance goal. Is a converter swap in the cards or is the stock converter to be used?

Rob this what I have
72 Dodge Dart Swinger
It came with a 727 trans w a 3000 stall converter 8 3/4.rear end w 3.91 gears
No Engine it had a 318 but the guy I got it from is going to keep it for a truck he has
It needs some body work but it's solid and very stock
It is a family project and will take a while
I would like to take the family cruising and take it to the strip on the weekends for fun

where I live there is only 1 other Dart on island it's a 70 he is a good friend and is running
The same setup only his has a 340 same trans and rear end

If you want to use the 3K stall converter, you will want to get larger valve springs and a larger cam. Also, do a leak down and comp check to make sure your heads are not cracked. If they are, then get some EQ heads with stiffer springs for larger cam. That converter and tall gears will want some rpm so you will either have to upgrade engine to that or replace the converter with a 2200 stall and keep cam smaller.

Yo, about the serpentine: yes, BUT you need the power steering box out of a van because it tucks up closer to the engine, and clears the battery box. You also need the inverted flare Saginaw adapter for the back of the pump, off an older GM car, truck or van, and/or use the speedway adapter.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/O-Ring-to-Inverted-Flare-Power-Steering-Adapter,24682.html

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/ccrp-1212-power-steering-fix-junkyard-builder/

Think about while your swapping the adapter doing this:

www.moparaction.com/Tech/beep/PUMP_IT_DOWN-re-v1.4.pdf

Woods, are you referring to the pump from the van? If you are, the pump is the same as all the magnums except for Grand Cherokee which has plastic res. What is different about van is the actual ps/ac bracket. It sits higher on the engine than the Ram,Dakota or Durango brackets. Its the big cast aluminum piece on drivers front of engine. It will also require sourcing the serp belt for a van as its different from Dak,Ram,Dur.

If you relocate battery to trunk, The serpentine belt setup fits fine.

If you want the battery, use the van bracket and belt as mentioned.

If you relocate battery to trunk, The serpentine belt setup fits fine.

If you want the battery up front, use the van bracket and belt as mentioned.

The caveat: if your intake does not use a/c compressor bracket, expect a small headache. Try the non a/c bracket for the easiest route, but they're hard to find.

I used the stock '79 P/S hose to the '00, 5.9 Magnum P/S pump. The donor vehicle was a '00 Durango.

If you want to use the 3K stall converter, you will want to get larger valve springs and a larger cam. Also, do a leak down and comp check to make sure your heads are not cracked. If they are, then get some EQ heads with stiffer springs for larger cam. That converter and tall gears will want some rpm so you will either have to upgrade engine to that or replace the converter with a 2200 stall and keep cam smaller.
PM you

Just a follow up so I decided to run with The RPM air gap from Eldbrock with a 1407 750 performer
And the great people at Magnum Mopar helped with EQ stage 2 heads and a .533 lift cam my heads are fine but when I spoke with my local machine shop about the lift they told me I would have to trim the value guide's and a head job replace the springs at a cost of $700.00 not including parts it made sents to get the head's magnummopar.com Even and Jay are great to work with I can't wait to build this engine

You DON'T need to change the power steering pump or put the battery in the trunk. Just modify your battery tray for a narrower battery. It's quick and easy. The stock pump fits just fine, and hooks right up to your cars power steering with the factory car hoses.

I would put in a fresh serpentine idler pulley and tensioner along with a new belt and reseal the entire motor. Also take the time and $ to run the EFI. All you need is a fuel system upgrade, using a surge tank style system, a truck ECM for a 5 speed 5.9 motor and a wiring harness. There are two available. One from the guy who posted several responses. You can also get dam good performance with a modified beer keg intake and cam & spring change. It's worth it, especially when reflashed using an SCT Tuner. I used cheap Summit headers with great results too.

Attachments

• eng4.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 175
  • eng5.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 160
  • eng2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 179
-
Back