98 Jeep magnum

-

68coupe

Reaction score
Hey Guys - I just bought a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Special Edition! Wow, that's a mouthful!
So far I have $125 in a 5.9 Magnum and Dana 44A limited slip rear with disc brakes. Not Bad.
I also have a camshaft from a 92 Dakota 5.2 from a previous purchase. Of course, the 5.9 has the cast iron manifolds that fit really well in an a-body.
Next winter I'm going to put the 5.2 cam into the 5.9 and do the modifications to the kegger.
I think I'll be looking for a a suitable D100 or a 71-72 Roadrunner to drop the 5.9 into. Of course, I'll go with the factory PCM.

The trans had already been removed from the Jeep before I bought it. So - I'm guessing I will have to find a TC from a 360 engine? The external balancing is done with the damper and TC?

I read somewhere the reasoning behind the external balancing for the 360 engine. But I forgot - I've slept since then! Can somebody refresh my memory on the subject? Thanks

The 5.9 Magnum (96 on up) is balanced with the a/t flexplate (already counter weighted) and the stock harmonic balancer. You can run a 273/318/340 torque converter( non weighted), or knock the weights off a LA 360 converter. This is what I did, on my 99 5.9 Magnum, works fine. Nice score!

Cool! That's what I like to hear! Everything is still on the engine, so I guess I'm good to go. I doubt this engine is going to sit around until winter before I get the urge to tear into it!

Thanks Abody

Cool! That's what I like to hear! Everything is still on the engine, so I guess I'm good to go. I doubt this engine is going to sit around until winter before I get the urge to tear into it!

Thanks Abody

That's what I like to hear,68coupe.

D100 is a good sleeper. I had a completely stock 96 5.9 in a D150. It would run 13.80's all day hot lapping it all you wanted to. First time it went to the track the difference between slowest and fastest pass was .09 Bracket racing beauty.

FYI - If I remember correctly that year Jeep motor 97/98 has the starter on the passenger's side. That in itself shouldn't be problem as long as you use the Jeep transmission. Also, because the starter is on the passenger's side if you don't use early trans (60s, 70s or 80s) you'll have a problem with the driver's side exhaust manifold. This is because the driver's side exhaust manifold exit "turns inward" where a early Mopar starter would normally exist. Since that year Jeep has the starter on the passenger side the manufacturer took advantage of the extra space (no starter) on the driver's side. Again , if you use the Jeep engine and tranny together these problems will not be an issue.

Good Luck,
treblig

Hey Treblig - how ya doin'?

You are right about the starter being on the right side. I was under the impression that the block was standard, that the starter went on whichever side the transmission dictated. I got the starter, but not the transmission. It was 4WD anyways. I assumed that the starter wouldn't work with any other transmission that had a left side starter. I'll have to look at all that tomorrow.
I certainly hope that the 5.9 will bolt to an older Mopar transmission. If not, I may just have to sell it as a Jeep motor. I have noticed that the 4.7 transmissions have the starter on the right side also.

You are right about the starter being on the right side. I was under the impression that the block was standard, that the starter went on whichever side the transmission dictated. I got the starter, but not the transmission. It was 4WD anyways. I assumed that the starter wouldn't work with any other transmission that had a left side starter. I'll have to look at all that tomorrow.
I certainly hope that the 5.9 will bolt to an older Mopar transmission. If not, I may just have to sell it as a Jeep motor. I have noticed that the 4.7 transmissions have the starter on the right side also.

I'm pretty sure it will bolt up to an older transmission. As far as I know the blocks are (newer and older) the same. And you are also probably correct about the fact that the starter goes with the transmission not with the engine. The reason I posted the info was so you wouldn't think that you would be able to use the newer 5.9 driver's exhaust manifold with a older transmission. I believe the 5.9 driver's manifold will interfere with the older starter on the driver's side. At least that what I have found. You're probably going to need a Dakota 360 manifold for the driver's side. I sell those if you end up needing one or you can try and find one at the scrap yard.
The passenger's Jeep manifold will work with any older set up.
treblig

I'm using a 92 Dakota 5.2 manifold on the driver's side of the Barracuda. It's not a straight bolt-on, but will fit. LOL It's also the big outlet.
I'm seriously thinking of finding a b-body to drop the 5.9 into. I never owned a B, so might try it.

I'm using a 92 Dakota 5.2 manifold on the driver's side of the Barracuda. It's not a straight bolt-on, but will fit. LOL It's also the big outlet.
I'm seriously thinking of finding a b-body to drop the 5.9 into. I never owned a B, so might try it.

Jeep only made 14,500 of those 5.9 Limiteds.

If youre really going to part it out I would be interested in a few things.

Your Jeep, known lovingly as a "niner" has quite a few one off parts. Only ten thousand of these were made in three different colors and only in 98. It was the fastest production sport utility until Porsche came out with their thingy. The steering wheel and shifters are leather wrapped. The grill is different, the mirrors are body color, the hood has louvers, the roof rack is more aerodynamic. So what I am suggesting is that if you have any of those parts you should be able to sell them to recoup your $125 investment. I am very curiouse about wether or not you can mount a starter on the drivers side. Ive looked at mine and it seems you should be able to. The PCM is programed to run on 93 octane only just so you know. Ive got headers, larger throttle body, and a cold air K&N intake on mine and it makes the big old Jeep move. I would love to try it out in an a body!!

Your Jeep, known lovingly as a "niner" has quite a few one off parts. Only ten thousand of these were made in three different colors and only in 98. It was the fastest production sport utility until Porsche came out with their thingy. The steering wheel and shifters are leather wrapped. The grill is different, the mirrors are body color, the hood has louvers, the roof rack is more aerodynamic. So what I am suggesting is that if you have any of those parts you should be able to sell them to recoup your $125 investment. I am very curiouse about wether or not you can mount a starter on the drivers side. Ive looked at mine and it seems you should be able to. The PCM is programed to run on 93 octane only just so you know. Ive got headers, larger throttle body, and a cold air K&N intake on mine and it makes the big old Jeep move. I would love to try it out in an a body!!

Never heard that information, Thanks!

Mojoe - talked to a guy here locally that was telling me about the "Niner". He told me about the same things that you mentioned, plus the rocker panels and the plastic "woograin" in the interior. Also, the console lid is one off because of the stitching. The door panels are one off. The sound bar is Niner only.
They came in white, silver and gold.

Yep, 4.7 transmissions are ambidextrous- it's also the same trans as a 5.7 uses. Well, some- there's a mess of transmissions that were used in those years- so let's just talk about Dakotas, Durangos, and Jeeps- which from '99 to 2003 all used only (5)45RFEs. Course, control one without the stock PCM- that's more interesting. I have a WJ 45RFE sitting around- it'd be wicked to have a 6 speed auto behind an LA/Mag in something with FI like a little Cherokee- but the aftermarket controllers that've been used on them are very high dollar.

The niner's trans is actually a pretty neat one-off deal. It's a 46RE- an electronic 518 as opposed to the electronic 500 the 318 Jeeps got, since Jeep's are passenger starter and there were unique bells- there's only as many passenger 46RE cases as there are niners. OBD-I 318 Jeeps apparently got 46RHs to go with their Dana 35s. So is it useful- not for you, is it valuable- probably even as a core.

Looks pretty well robbed honestly, you might want to take lots of pics for those ZJ people to see if they can catch anything they want to fund your project for.

Pretty sure the mounting's all there for either side starter on every motor- the cases for Magnum and LA motors are unique in the starter location though.

I have read on the Mega-squirt web sight that they offer a trans controller {in kit form or assembled} that will control the mopar trannies. And it would be way cheaper than the others. I think it is on the www.diyautotune.com website.

-
Back