9in to 10in drums conversion

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
im currently converting my dart front brakes from the 9 in drum to the 10 inch drum and was wondering could i use the upper and lower ball joints from the 9in to install the 10 in drum set up? or are they not interchangeable ? let me know thanks!

Check rockauto. Pretty sure the upper ball joints interchange (even for disk brakes), but forgot about the lowers. I hope you have the 10" drum spindles and hubs since you can't buy those new.

^^ Chryslerfat, what are you thinking?

The 10inch drums require the 10 inch spindles, cuz the bearings are different sizes. I've never tried to put the 9inch LBJ onto a 10 inch spindle. Are the bolt-hole spacings the same. Ima pretty sure the bolt sizes are different,so I get the drilling part.

^^ Chryslerfat, what are you thinking?

The 10inch drums require the 10 inch spindles, cuz the bearings are different sizes. I've never tried to put the 9inch LBJ onto a 10 inch spindle. Are the bolt-hole spacings the same. Ima pretty sure the bolt sizes are different,so I get the drilling part.

That is what I was referring to as I understand it the 10 inch spindles have larger bolts that hold the spindles to the ball joints. I have also read that the 9 inch ball joints may not have enough meat to drill for the larger bolts.

was decades since I did it but I drilled out the 2 holes in a drum LBJ (I forget if it was 9 or 10") to use in a disc app (1/2 to 9/16 bolts iirc) on an early A. there was plenty of meat to work with & the metal was soft & the drill press bit went thru it like butter. eyeball what you are working with & go from there

-
Back