A-999 behind a 340

-

6T9 V-100

Reaction score
Just got an '85 Gran Fury that is in great shape; is an AHB car that was used by the KC fire inspector. I know it is no A-body, but the car has 90k on the odo and all the HD stuff is present and in great shape. The only real downer is the 165 SAE HP rating (and the clear coat has lepersy). I will get rid of the "Lean Burn" and try to open the exhaust up for better economy/power- started me looking at the 340 short block in my shed and wondering... heresy to some, I suppose, but I like to use what I've got and a 340 would give me power and a unique cop mobile. The idea of a 360 was tossed at me, but the pulleys would get misaligned and then I'd have to pharqe with the torque converter and plate. Anybody ever do a decently built 340 w/an A-999 behind it?

The 999 should have no problem behind your 340.

ps. 318, 340 and 360s all use the same pulleys so if they line up with one, The will line up with the others.

is the 999 the same as the 518? or what is it lol sounds like a sweet car:) u should put up some pics

is the 999 the same as the 518? or what is it lol sounds like a sweet car:) u should put up some pics

NO...999 is a 904 with 5 disc in front clutch and steel planetaries...

a-518 is Overdrive trans based on the 727

the a-500 is an overdrive trans based on the 904/998/999

I'm planning on that exact thing. If you read the MP Chassis book, old Larry Shepard will tell you the 999 is the hot ticket.

Just know that most 999's were lock up which may or may not be what you want. Not so simple to change to a non-lockup, many specific parts and many variations to the transmissions as the years went by. The 999 was non lock up until around '78. Hard to find those particular transmissions laying around now though. Seems that guys piece them together using the desirable parts from later units.

Head over to Moparts and type in a search for A999. Make a cup of coffee and start reading, lots to sift through!

Thanks guys- it is a pretty decent car and definitely should be fun to drive. The only cosmetic thing wrong w/the car is the clear coat is peeling, so it will be getting a re-spray. Mechanically it is in great shape, but choked-down 318's of the era were definitely not as efficient and as enjoyable as they could be...I plan on changing that!

so the 999 is just a heavy duty 904 with the same top gear not od? i think i remember it now so i bet that will work gr8 lol

Anybody know much about the lock-up feature on the tranny? Behind a warmed-over 340 (not too radical, I like A/C and decent manners in a driver) anybody have any issues/thoughts?

so the 999 is just a heavy duty 904 with the same top gear not od? i think i remember it now so i bet that will work gr8 lol

I believe all the 999 had the lower 2.74:1 st gear over the standard 2.54:1

Just throwing my 2 cents in here. I would sell the 340 & go with the 360. This is a heavy car, the additional tourque from the 360 is well worth it. I put together a 1987 5th Avenue, E58 spec 360, headers, no cats, & daul exhaust. lock-up 904 w/low first gear, stock t/convertor, 2:94 suregrip rear. I kept all the bells & whistles, it weighed 4100 pounds with me in it. It ran 14.80's all day long. Also, if you loosen the fuel tank retaining straps, you move the tank over one notch. This will allow you to run a true daul exhaust all the way out back.

I am doing this right now. Putting a 360 crate motor with the 999 trans into a 68 dart. The 999 is what some race car people say to use inplace of the 904 because of the extra discs.

I have the 340 sitting in the shed, so it isn't worth the hassle of selling and then going and getting a 360. My biggest concern is the lock-up feature of the tranny- how will it act and hold up behind a decently-built 340? Never built a Mopar w/this feature and I've heard that this tranny don't like a decent power level.

I have the 340 sitting in the shed, so it isn't worth the hassle of selling and then going and getting a 360. My biggest concern is the lock-up feature of the tranny- how will it act and hold up behind a decently-built 340? Never built a Mopar w/this feature and I've heard that this tranny don't like a decent power level.

Lockup was for economy. Lockup 999's were found behind trucks, vans and Diplomats. Think cop/fleet vehicles and old people pseudo luxo barges. Lots of torque at a low rpm, probably never saw the high side 4K. Most 999 variants had a 4 or 5 disc forward clutch pack and later ones had the low gear set but most of those were lockup transmissions.

Drag racers use the 904 because there is less rotating mass. You don't hear about 904's blowing up like 727's do. The MP Chassis book says it's the quickest trans to have in non-lockup form.

Some people try to piece together a 999 by retrofitting desirable later parts into an older 904 case. There's a lot of variations in the models over the years, you really need to know what to look for. Most of it is pretty hard to find too.

Like anything else, it will probably hold up just fine unless you do a poor job assembling it or abuse the crap out of it.

Just put it in and report back to us if you blow it up.

plus the tail shaft section is also heavier duty then a 904. you do not have to run the lock up convertor either. I have a 3000 stall in my car. I am getting close to starting this car up and trying this combination out. I can't wait. But what I have run across is that because the tail section is different you can't use a stock console shifter unless you modify a bracket the bolts to the stock 904 tail section.

-
Back