A bit of info on a 360

-

Nihms

Reaction score
Hi all new here!

I recently bought my first barracuda (67) I know the car had a 273 in it. It currently has a 360 LA motor (the head has 5 bolt hole valve covers) I have no idea if it has a roller cam in it or not. What's the easiest way to tell. A lot has changed in this car as the transmission pan matches a 727 and the rear end looks to be a 8 3/4 I think going off pictures from this site. Any help is appreciated as I'm trying to figure out what I have going forward for parts ect.
Pictures for info

Cuda.jpg

Cuda12.jpg

Cudaheads.jpg

CudaRear.jpg

Welcome aboard nice looking car.

Definitely La cylinder heads an rocker arm assembly. You could possibly remove the rocker arm assembly and look down through the head into the lifter Valley to determine if it has a roller cam.
Another thing you might do is look on the passenger side of the block and see what the date is. If it's an 89 90 or 91 there's a chance it's a roller motor.

The roller Motors are the transition Motors from the LA's to the magnums. They used roller cams but they use the LA heads with the stamp steel rocker arms. In order to do this they used a shorter push rod in them than the other Motors use both LA and roller.
Definitely looks like an 8 3/4 rearend.

Last edited:
Also of note, all LA small blocks have 5 bolt valve covers. The magnums have ....what is it yall? Seven I believe? If you look on the driver's side of the block, kinda behind the starter, you'll see a series of casting numbers. Close to the end will be the engine size.

With stock rockers, it’s highly unlikely that you have a roller cam. Easiest way to determine is when you have it pull the distributor and look through the hole with a flashlight or borescope and you can see the lifters on the cam.

Welcome aboard nice looking car.

Definitely La cylinder heads an rocker arm assembly. You could possibly remove the rocker arm assembly and look down through the head into the lifter Valley to determine if it has a roller cam. Another thing you might do is look on the side of the block and see what the date is. If it's an 89 90 or 91 there's a chance it's a roller motor.
Definitely looks like an 8 3/4 rearend.

engine#.jpg

Is this the number you were talking about? Can't find another.

looks like the intake attaching bolts are angled. Chances are it is a standard flat tappet hydraulic cam.

Nice car, welcome to the forum!

Other side will have a casting date.

Rockers can be that style with a hyd roller cam. I think the casting date may be a little early for a Hyd Roller engine.

If you can shine a flashlight into the valley, look for the dogbone on top of lifter pairs and spider hold down. At boneyards I use to pull the distributor as mentioned and look for the dogbone/spider assemblies.

Roller360May2010012-1.jpg

With stock rockers, it’s highly unlikely that you have a roller cam. Easiest way to determine is when you have it pull the distributor and look through the hole with a flashlight or borescope and you can see the lifters on the cam.
factory roller LA motors had those stock stamped steel rockers.

Also of note, all LA small blocks have 5 bolt valve covers. The magnums have ....what is it yall? Seven I believe? If you look on the driver's side of the block, kinda behind the starter, you'll see a series of casting numbers. Close to the end will be the engine size.
Magnums have 10 valve cover bolts.

View attachment 1716007172
Is this the number you were talking about? Can't find another.
1976-’88
Chrysler installed the bigger starter on the 360 in ’76, so the bolt boss for the transmission brace on the left side was moved forward one inch to provide more clearance for the starter. These engines all had flat tappet cams. The castings were 4179930, 4006830 and 4045610.

Also if someone converted to a roller cam the pushrod holes in the head would have to be the larger holes from the factory 5/8" hole 308 casting heads or machined clearanced for earlier heads. As stated earlier looking through the distributor opening at the lobe and lifter is easy to see what you really have.

-
Back