[SOLD] A body 4 speed change over

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said. Not junk. The man selling has been building cars for years. Only reason it isn't in my car is I decided auto was what I wanted.

Unless the 3-4 lever was flipped by accident, that's an overdrive transmission.

Don't buy any 4 speed without opening the side cover and inspecting/seeing each gears engaging teeth (clutching teeth) with your own eyes. Much more expensive to replace than brass syncro rings. Each gear new is around $200 each. Also look at the marking on the gear side to confirm what ratio they are and confirm if they are 4 speed or 4 speed overdrive gears (3 speed with overdrive).

There is no mention in that ad that the trans was recently pulled from a running car. Just looks like silver spray bomb over grease and dirt. Still could be a good trans. Be a smart buyer and ask for pics of inside trans.

Also in the ad, the shifter handle and knob are from a overdrive 4 speed. Possibly an F-body. The 68-up 4 speed shifter handle (worth more than an overdrive handle) has a slightly different geometry. But it will work and function in an A-body though.

Also ask for the trans bearing retainer outside diameter and the bellhousing diameter. That could give you an idea of the year and type trans it is.

Unless the 3-4 lever was flipped by accident, that's an overdrive transmission.

Yep. And shifter and shift rods are overdrive pieces.

An overdrive trans does have 4 forward speeds. But it is really a 3 speed with an overdrive. It's value is way less than an 4 speed non overdrive trans.

Is there a length measurement to determine wether that steering column is A-body or F-body? I can't see well since it's been spray painted, but the front looks a little weird. Do your homework on that too.

An overdrive trans does have 4 forward speeds. But it is really a 3 speed with an overdrive. It's value is way less than an 4 speed non overdrive trans.

I don't know. I've seen people say that before. I ain't sure I agree. It does have the 833 designation, so I have always called it a 4 speed. I understand the 3 speed od thing, but it still is an 833, plus the cases and gears interchange. Just for argument's sake. LOL

I'm actually kind of looking for a complete o/d setup.

If you still have it in a couple weeks, we can talk.

I don't know. I've seen people say that before. I ain't sure I agree. It does have the 833 designation, so I have always called it a 4 speed. I understand the 3 speed od thing, but it still is an 833, plus the cases and gears interchange. Just for argument's sake. LOL

True both have 4 foward gears. So they really both are four speeds.

But would agree a 4 spd overdrive transmission, 4 spd overdrive handle, 4 speed overdrive bellhousings, 4 speed overdrive linkages all sell for a lot less than their 4 speed non overdrive counterparts??

Buyer beware: $2250 is too much for an overdrive 4 speed setup. Learn the parts, learn the market, and don't get burned on used parts.

Ok. Seems like it has turned into a negative discussion of the ad, I will repeat. Not mine. My friend's. The ad has his phone. Call him. He has been building cars longer than I have been alive. Racing Mopars the entire time. He will give you all the details. Yes, always go and look at the stuff.

Ok. Seems like it has turned into a negative discussion of the ad, I will repeat. Not mine. My friend's. The ad has his phone. Call him. He has been building cars longer than I have been alive. Racing Mopars the entire time. He will give you all the details. Yes, always go and look at the stuff.

Nothing here aimed at you personally. You're just a messenger of an ad on Craiglist. Nor anything personal aimed at the seller.

Just pointing out questions potential buyers should be asking and looking for. And pointing out details about the individual parts that are pictured. At first glance I thought that was all 67-76 A-body 4 speed non overdrive parts. I'm guessing some others didn't notice that.

Until I started looking for 4 speed stuff a couple of years ago, I would have thought it was a traditional 4 speed too. But I learned from reading threads here and asked questions here.

I bought a 4 speed a while back that I thought was in better condition that it turned out. And I got the seller to open the case. I just didn't know enough to identify worn engaging teeth on the gears. Bare 4 speed trans' usually go for between $300-$500. But the parts costs of replacing just two gears with worn engaging teeth will equal the price you paid for the whole tranny.

Just trying to reciprocate the knowledge I gained on FABO to others on FABO.

True both have 4 foward gears. So they really both are four speeds.

But would agree a 4 spd overdrive transmission, 4 spd overdrive handle, 4 speed overdrive bellhousings, 4 speed overdrive linkages all sell for a lot less than their 4 speed non overdrive counterparts??

Buyer beware: $2250 is too much for an overdrive 4 speed setup. Learn the parts, learn the market, and don't get burned on used parts.

I would agree with that with the only exception being the A body 833 OD cast iron case trans that's one year only. Since they do not suffer the case galling the aluminum case OD trans can, they are worth more.

I would agree with that with the only exception being the A body 833 OD cast iron case trans that's one year only. Since they do not suffer the case galling the aluminum case OD trans can, they are worth more.

An cast iron 833 OD is worth more than a 1967-1970 2.66 1st gear 4speed and a 1971-1976 2.44 1st gear 4 speed?

Or the cast iron case 833 OD is just worth more than an aluminum cast 833 OD?

I've always seen the 833 OD advertised and sell of less than the non 833 OD trans' around here and on the internet. Most of the times I see sellers advertising the alumimun case as a "plus".

Personally, I wouldn't mind having a bare a galled aluminun case. I'd have it machined and bushed to run my 2.44 close ratio guts and save some weight. I don't think I'm interested in what the typical buyer whats, which set sets typical real world selling prices though.

The bellhousing looks like it has the large hole, that is most likely a overdrive, as others have pointed out. It may have been removed from a 71 dart, but it wasn't put there by the factory. IMO that is 300-500 worth of stuff there... Ad is sorta misleading

I wish I could add some more insight for everyone, but as a novice, I can't . I can try to get some more pics outside of what is in the ad if it will help. Easiest thing is just to contact him directly. I have found that a lot of folks will tell you whatever they think you want to hear. I do agree, if you really want to know put eyes on it yourself. I did not know enough about a 4 speed swap...reason why I have a 727 behind my 440.

I wish I could add some more insight for everyone, but as a novice, I can't.....

.... I have found that a lot of folks will tell you whatever they think you want to hear. ....

Head you own advice. And get second opinions on parts purchases from this seller. Might be fine deals, but when there is a large experiance difference you need to keep your guard up.

The bellhousing looks like it has the large hole, that is most likely a overdrive, as others have pointed out. It may have been removed from a 71 dart, but it wasn't put there by the factory. IMO that is 300-500 worth of stuff there... Ad is sorta misleading

Yep. I agree.

Maybe 150 more than that if that is a real 67-76 A-body console steering column.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back