A body 4speed console.

-

cktuck

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to convert my 67 Dart GTS to a 4speed but my car has a auto with the console shifter. Do I have to get a 4speed floor hump or can I just use the one in the car, and can I use my console, cut out the hole for the shifter, or try to find a 4speed console for an A body? Thanks .:dontknow::dontknow:

The 4 speed console top plate is being reproduced. I think you need the floor hump for the shifter linkage and as you probably already know that is reproduced also.

Your console mounting brackets are correct for either. The stand for automatic shifter will be removed along with shifter linkage components. The 4 speed hump is actually an add on to the existing hump.

Thanks again guys I really did not want to cut up a good console!
Another question, I have the pedals out of a 72 duster will they work in my Dart?

Another question, I have the pedals out of a 72 duster will they work in my Dart?

Yes the pedals will work. The pedals will have the clutch safety switch on it which you don't need.

quote]

I was thinking the same thing about cutting an auto console top..............IT WILL NOT WORK, you will have to get the 4 speed top, hump and 2 boots

I converted mine to a 4 speed, had already welded the brackets in for the auto console, removed the shifter and brackets then welded in hump, I guess it is in the right spot

The 4 speed top had a place in it that the shifter had been hitting before I got it. It was repaired and rechromed and I have not hit the console with the shifter yet

You might want to check on the shifter and console cost before you go that route. The shifter looks like a broken rear dog leg and don't know if they are still available from anyone except ebay

I somewhat disagree about an auto console not being able to be converted to a 4 speed. It won't look factory though. I got Brewers 4 speed Hurst repo handle and then I took my auto console and cut out the auto indicator shifter part.
So now I am looking at a big hole. The first thing I realized is that if you get a cheezy Mr.Gasket 4 speed waffle looking boot it will snap into the hole between the folds of the boot which is ok but its still slightly ghetto.

Then the 2nd problem I was facing is that the crummy boot is some kind of rubber plastic thing so it wont glue to the underside of the modified auto plate. so it flops around a little.

What I think is going to work real good is that I am going to use a leather or simulated leather 4 speed boot found in cobra Kit cars (I have one I am building) or commonly found in old European cars as the leather will take an adhesive under the plate and bond. As its soft it won't rip off under the plate. Also will look real good if you decide to run one of those wooden steering wheels.

Of course all of this will only look good if you cut a nice hole and repaint it as it will be visable.

One caveot that I am facing is this. You need to mount the 4 speed console in the car, then the modified plate, and put the car in neutral and line it up the handle with the center line of the console then weld up the bracket. In other words just install it and go through all the gears and center it the best it can be. Also you will find out if you need to make the hole a little larger / wider or longer.

I installed mine before I got the shifter handle and now its 3/4" too far left so I have to cut it out and do it all over again *sigh*.

Or just blow a boat load of cash for the repo console, PG Classics has them.

Sean

I cut my auto console and it works just fine. Trimmed it out and used Brewers repo shift handle and console boot.

DSCN0886.JPG

Dang that looks way better than mine. What are the hole dimensions if you don't mind measuring them. I already cut mine and before I order that boot I hope I didn't make it too big.
Comes with the chrome bezel huh?

Sean

I cut my auto console and it works just fine. Trimmed it out and used Brewers repo shift handle and console boot.

Wow, that really looks good! Please give us more details on how you cut it out and installed the boot. Did you have to have it re-chromed afterwards? What did you use to cut it? How does the boot install?

I threaded Brewer's a console Handle, 6 mths for a non-console (NOS), I haven't seen it for sale yet, it didn't need re-chrome, he probably still has it, but $$$.

All the best,
Giles

I ordered the reproduction boot from brewers then took the top plate off the console. Took the measurment from the boot and transfered it to the plate and cut it out.
I countersunk some flathead screws into the plate to bolt the boot on from the bottom so the screws wouldnt show through the new woodgrain kit. I just got some chrome interior/exterior stick on moulding from autozone to trim around the boot . I cut it with an pneumatic hacksaw. Thanks for the comments.

Hey 340 Dart Swinger....

Disregard the e-mail I sent you. That stick on moulding looks TIGHT!

Nice job
Sean

-
Back