A Body 8 1/4 rear end

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need some info on this ! I picked up a 71 Swinger parts car the other day. It has an 8 1/4 in it. Guy told me it is a 3.23 suregrip. This car is a total hack job. Just wondering what years had this rear end and what it should measure to be from an A Body.
Thanks in advance.

73+ for the 8.25 rear. Should be a 3.21, 3.23 was an 8.75 rear ratio. Maybe its actually an 8 3/4. Have you actually seen it already?
I recently parted a slant six 71 swinger and it had an 8 3/4 ! I didnt even know until I got it home so that was a very nice bonus.
Housing length should be comparable to the 8 3/4. May be slightly different because of the BBP...not sure. The spring perches are the same.

Lmao I'm late to the party as usual ...

Yes , I'm sure it's an 8 1/4. Big bolt pattern also. so 3.21 it must be !

Now for the $$$ ????? what are these worth ?

Yes , I'm sure it's an 8 1/4. Big bolt pattern also. so 3.21 it must be !

Now for the $$$ ????? what are these worth ?

Decent money. "Whatever" someone is willing to give. The 8 3/4s are gettin stupid, so the 8 1/4 is pretty hot.

The last 8.25 suregrip i sold was a 3.55, sold it for $150. That was around 2 years ago. Might be worth a little more but $700-$900 is a stretch.

I run one and I am pushing 500 HP. There is a 8 1/4 thread we really discussed the 8 1/4 in details just not organized.

I have always thought the 8 1/4 is one of the little rears that do not get the recognition they deserve.

I don't think the 900 buck mark is honestly realistic. Maybe start there and negotiate. I believe you're going to find maybe 500-650 will be about max.

I have always thought the 8 1/4 is one of the little rears that do not get the recognition they deserve.

I agree. Maybe @Bighead440 will chime in. He had one in the Demon in his avatar that yanked the tires on every run. I've seen the pictures. I think I remember him saying he never broke it and he still has it. I don't remember how fast the car was. Maybe he'll be along and tell us about it.

Didnt @memike run a 7 1/4 for a long time and abuse it in his car with that hot slant?

I think so. They get a worse rap than they deserve. The sure grip 7 1/4s are supposed to be pretty strong. I'm fixin to find out.

Hard to find also. Now those I have seen sell for over $700.

In my 8 1/4 I am running 3.55 gears and a sure grip out of a jeep. Easy install. You just have to remember the ring gear is a jeep set and has a different ring gear hole alignment then the regular 8.25. I love it!

In my 8 1/4 I am running 3.55 gears and a sure grip out of a jeep. Easy install. You just have to remember the ring gear is a jeep set and has a different ring gear hole alignment then the regular 8.25. I love it!

Cool. Is that the only difference? That's good info.

-
Back