A body 8.75 dimensions needed

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Going to possibly buy a stock width A body 8.75 axle this weekend. I am going to take my tape measure and measure it. I need the dimensions from drum brake mating flange to mating flange, as well as center to center of the spring perches. Owner says this is out of a 67 barracuda.

Thanks
Matt

good job on the chart....just missing the pinion angle for the spring pad install and I'll be all set

thanks

swap meet special...
the old perches now are not in the stock location...moved in 1/2" per side which is what we want...but the angles differed. I wanted to doublecheck against stock specs

one was 2*...the other 4* up

thanks

swap meet special...
the old perches now are not in the stock location...moved in 1/2" per side which is what we want...but the angles differed. I wanted to doublecheck against stock specs

one was 2*...the other 4* up

Ah, I see. What I do is get one side right, then use two blocks of wood to put the perches on. Once the first one is right the other side will self level, then tack it.

not my thread....but thanks for the help guys

i got my A body 8.75" axle this past weekend, somebody removed the original perches sometime prior to me finding and buying it. i would assume he was probably going to relocate the springs and never did. i had a set of new perches from mopar performance to fix this problem.

an old timer i deal with locally told me that the perches are set at the same angle as the flats on the top of the tubes end flanges. i looked at the 7.25" axle tube that i was keeping as a chinese blueprint from my 74 dart. it has the same flat on the top of the flanges lining up perpindicular with the perches.

i set my 7.25" axle upside down on saw horses letting one of these flat flanges rest on the saw horse, the other flange i let hang off the other saw horse so i could use my inclinometer app on my phone turns out the flats on the end flanges are at the same angle as the flats on the perches.

knowing this i set my 8.75" axle housing on the saw horses the same way, got my 43" center to center for the perches, double checked perches to end flanges dimensions, double checked the the angles of the new unwelded perches in relation to the flange flats to make sure they were at the same angle, tack welded , double checked dimensions and angles, then welded em up tight.

I'm not sure of the pinion angle, but i verified what the old greybeard mopar guy i deal with told me by checking the housing on my old 7.25" so apparantly this is how the factory set the perches for the pinion angle.

from what he says this is set when the rears are built at the factory the tubes are jigged up and the ends are installed with the flats at a certain angle compared to the mating flange on the housing for the center chunk determined by the jig then the rear is put in another jig that locates the perches at the correct width, and with their flats perpendicular to the flats on the flanges.

this sounds weird until you look at yours if its a unmodified axle. mine was unmodified except somebody whacked the perches off to relocate them then never did. using my inclinometer app on my phone, i found the angle the flange flat was at while the axle housing was sitting on my sawhorses, then put my perches at exactly the same angle the axle end flange flats are sitting at.

i am sure there are other angles you can set them at depending on your buildup, and what you are going to use the car for. i have never modified axle perches from stock angle, and have never had any problems in the past. also since my current project car is going to sit pretty close to stock height in the back i'm sure i wont encounter any driveline problems, as a matter of fact my old greybeard mopar friend says he welds em in at this angle using the axle end flange flats as a guide all the time, and he has never had any problems.

also the stock width from flange to flange is supposed to be 52&5/8" width, but this axle housing was 52&7/8" a full 1/4" wider than what the chart shows. thats only 1/8" wider on each side. according to my old greybeard friend there are slight variations since this stuff was mass produced by hand (no computers or automation). he has seen this with mopar 8.75" axles, as well as ford and chevy stuff.

Im not sure if this is the right way to go about it, but it seemed to work for me. Btw the inclinometer app on my phone works great for this.

hope this helps someone out looking to find the "stock angle" to set the perches at.

matt

Attachments

• 20121202_195500.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 325
  • 20121202_195526.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 341
5 degrees up.

Whats everybody set theirs at and why? I do know about driveline shudder being a problem if the pinion is at too extreme of an angle.i did mine at the angle its at based on advice from an old mopar drag racer, who did this stuff back in the day.

Matt

I usually put them on rolling the housing face more vertical, in the 2-3 range, because most of the time the pinion angle is too flat for me and I want a little more nose down.

What am I doiing wrong with my measurements? My perches measure 43" center to center but the drum surface to drum surface on three 8-3/4" rear axles and six 7-1/4" rear axles, all removed from A-bodies mesure 58-1/2". I never actually measured before but when I walked by one after reading this thread I decided to get my tape. After getting 58-1/2 I knew it wasn't what the chart called for so I measured the one under my car. 58-1/2" too. ( but it has aftermarket axles.) So then I went to the pile of 7-1/4s and get the same measurement. Then I measured the third 8-3/4 and it too is 58-1/2". Do I have a faulty tape measure??

Cracked back

What degree do you set them at? I wasnt understanding your reply. I understand 5 degrees up if its on a 0/90 degree baseline. On mine the perches look to be 90 degrees out from the center chunk mating flange. So would i be correct to assume this is 5 degrees down from the stock angle.

Is the angle i have it set at 0/90, is the base angle from there up or down?

Do you think i will run into any vibration or angle problems. Never did this before, went on advice of old dragracer. I believe at 0/90 you dont have to worry about spring windup binding the driveshaft assembly. The axle housing would have to twist upward on hard accelleration from spring windup to get to stock +5 degrees then your adjustable pinion snubber comes into play to keep it from going any farther up.

Matt

What am I doiing wrong with my measurements? My perches measure 43" center to center but the drum surface to drum surface on three 8-3/4" rear axles and six 7-1/4" rear axles, all removed from A-bodies mesure 58-1/2". I never actually measured before but when I walked by one after reading this thread I decided to get my tape. After getting 58-1/2 I knew it wasn't what the chart called for so I measured the one under my car. 58-1/2" too. ( but it has aftermarket axles.) So then I went to the pile of 7-1/4s and get the same measurement. Then I measured the third 8-3/4 and it too is 58-1/2". Do I have a faulty tape measure??

Damn i wish i had three 8.75 rears just lying aroundto have access to. You must be rich in moparts.

Matt

Perches on bottom side of tube and level, stock has the mounting face on the pumpkin pointing up 5* from the vertical plane. Leaning back.

When I do mine, perches level, the mounting face turned up 2-3*, closer to vertical.

Damn i wish i had three 8.75 rears just lying aroundto have access to. You must be rich in moparts.

Matt

I'm fortunate enough to have saved some good stuff from when it was readily available. One of the few advantages to being an old fart! One of the three is installed in my car. The other is prepped for installation in one of my cars and the third is just a spare I'm hangin' on to for a future project. (post retirement dream....) That one still needs a posi unit and some reasonable gears though.
But I'm still wondering why the accepted chart shows 57-1/8 as the overall width and all of mine are 58-1/2"

Crackedback

How about mounting face at 0 degrees straight up and down instead of being angled up 2 to 3 degrees? II believe mine is set this way right now. What do you think?Is mine angled too far down? Driveline issues or am i getting too crazy about this? Reason being is that while its just an empty axle tube and i can easily carry it around i would like to make sure its set up with the right angle. I would hate to put this in the car figure out theres a prob with pinion angle later, and have to remove the axle, cut off and reposition the perches. If i need to move them., cutting them and moving them now would be easier.

Matt

If it's too far down, get some angle shims for between the spring and prech to bring the nose up.

If you were running a SS spring and and needed a lot of pinion angle, then doing it at 90* angle is likely OK. Street cars usually don't need that much down angle on the pinion. Effectively you've rolled the pinion down 5*.

If you don't know the angle of your trans output shaft, it's a crapshoot to get it right.

Mine are all stock perch location at 5 degrees, but can't you easily adjust for a few degrees of difference with angled shims when you install the rear axle?

-
Back