A body console glove box latch

-

1500swinger

it's for sale not on sale
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have an assortment of a body consoles and have a couple questions members might be able to answer for me. First I have one that has no button to open lid (no latch). What is correct application? Second some have the nose shortened. Are they for A/C cars?

The ones with the shortened nose are for A/C cars. The ones without the button latch I believe are 66-70, the button latch started sometime in '71.

My 1970 dart had button. So far the only one I can find without is 67 Barracuda. One year only? I am by no means saying you are wrong. I have non wood grain topped ones (silver) that also have buttons

My 1970 dart had button. So far the only one I can find without is 67 Barracuda. One year only?
Posted in website questions and suggestions? This forum is for questions related to the sites website. I will move it for you.

The "silver topped" lid started in 66, and went to partway thru 68 model year. None of those had a button. My 69 cuda had woodgrain top and I don't believe it had button.
As for the "chop" that was for dealer installed ac, NOT factory ac. Our 67 cuda has factory air with full console and full diffusers.
Nobody has been able to definitively say that the chopped/hacked console was for dealer ac.
It wasn't there for factory AC for sure. Well for 67 anyway lol

The "silver topped" lid started in 66, and went to partway thru 68 model year. None of those had a button. My 69 cuda had woodgrain top and I don't believe it had button.
As for the "chop" that was for dealer installed ac, NOT factory ac. Our 67 cuda has factory air with full console and full diffusers.
Nobody has been able to definitively say that the chopped/hacked console was for dealer ac.
Maybe a 73 model for chopped one?

I have an assortment of a body consoles and have a couple questions members might be able to answer for me. First I have one that has no button to open lid (no latch). What is correct application? Second some have the nose shortened. Are they for A/C cars?
See post #12. Console question ! According to Ulf (who knows his stuff) the shortened one that has been finished off is a factory one. The hacked up one pictured earlier in the thread looks to be a owner modified console.

Yup, short nosed consoles were for Dealer installed a/c.
When I worked at a Dodge dealer in the late 70's, on slow days I would help out the parts guy. One day while clearing out unneeded stuff, he had me pitch a couple of consoles in the dumpster- he said they were special short ones for when they installed a/c in the A bodies; and since they stopped building A bodies a number of years ago, they were no longer needed. My understanding is that they were originally dealer modified to fit, and later on the factory had their own shortened version to use as part of the dealer a/c package... sometimes I shudder when I think of some of the stuff that got tossed because it was no longer relevant.

he said they were special short ones for when they installed a/c in the A bodies
That explains a bunch.

Here is my console And factory AC.

I assume the measurement is the standard length

PXL_20231214_201552533.jpg

PXL_20231214_202112698.jpg

And, then there's this shortened console. On close inspection is was obvious that it wasn't factory, but it was pretty cool. I was going to keep it to build a street rod, but somebody else wanted it more than I did.

P7300990.JPG

P7300991.JPG

P7300992.JPG

P7300993.JPG

P7300996.JPG

-
Back