A body Dash Conversion

-

Clamcake

Reaction score
I have a 1976 Duster and want to put a "rallye dash" out of a 1967 Barracuda in it. The ignition switches are different (of course 67 in the dash) and the flasher switches are different (67 in dash) and last but not least, the Duster has an idiot light for the oil (67 has gauge). A good man on FABO sold me a complete dash with interior wiring harness and I hope to convert my Duster with the existing engine harness. Can anyone give me an idea of what to look out for? How about the ignition conversion (I would like to keep the switch in the column)? The harness hook up to the bulkhead? I hope the oil conversion is as simple as a sender. Any help would be appreciated.

The best thing to do is get a wiring schematic for both and compare circuits. The 76 had a lot of extra crap on it for the idiot lights, ignition, hazards, and emissions. The bulkheads for the 76 are totaly different with 3 connections instead of 2. It would be easier to use the 76 harness and adapt to the 67 cluster. As far as the oil you'll need a sender if it's electric. If it's mechanical you'll need a line from your engine to the gauge. Use the 67 engine harness on your 76 bulkhead con.

With the massive change you are planning for the dash, and with all the known problems with factory vintage bulkhead connectors and the "ammeter deal" I sure as hell would NOT screw with factory harnesses. I'd consider converting the ammeter to voltmeter (there's a thread on here) and spring for an aftermarket harness and do the whole thing right.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=119480&highlight=ammeter+conversion

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=86773

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i....1l9l0&q=fabo, ammeter, voltmeter, conversion

x2 on the ammeter and wiring harness, My demon is getting a whole harness and guages currently, worth the money!!

How much $ is the wiring harness? Where do you find a voltmeter for the rallye dash? All of this is news to me and I am glad I asked more knowledgeable FABO members.

I think I paid $500 for my painless whole car harness but you have to know what you are doing, everything is labeled, I am a mechanic and work with wiring most every day and some parts of it were difficult for me! the updated harness is very nice though. my harness was cracked and in poor shape! could have started a fire! I dont know about replacing the amp meter to a volt guage in a rally dash though, I am sure someone has done it! as you can see I have wires every ware still! I am getting there though, Good luck, Jared

Attachments

• guages 003 (Small).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 251
I can convert the amp gauge to a volt gauge.
You'll need to change how it is wired in the car.
Cost is 55.00 plus shipping.

(72Demon440) That does look overwhelming. I would love to have all new wiring but mine are not bad at all so I would probably create a fire hazard after dropping $500...Nice car!

There are a few stories about dash fires that were blamed on the amp gauge. A very few examples out of hundreds of thousands produced doesn't suggest that every car should be completely rewired and all amp gauges removed/replaced. In other words No recall ever resulted.
Just a few simple wire changes are required to put a rallye instrument panel in your car.
What you do about the rallye panels flasher switch location that you dont need is up to you. Same with the ignition switch location in the early dash.
I would keep the later model wiring harness intact as much as possible leaving the ignition and flasher switch in the steering column.
Bottom line... This forum will supply several different methods to the madness and not one can be declared the best. You'll have to decide whats best for your car.

-
Back