A body/E body LCA difference Question

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
I want to add a pass side E body LCA to my 63 dart for a camber increase (high banked dirt track, 9" drum brakes). Is this a bolt in? If not what needs machined? Thank you for your time. RR

The B and E LCAs are actually about 1/2" shorter from pivot pin to lower ball joint.

This is an A LCA:

A LCA 2.jpg

The A is about 12 5/8" center to center.
The B LCA:

B LCA 3.jpg

The B is about 12 1/8" center to center and the locating pin is a larger diameter. The pin could be swapped to an A size but you're still dealing with heavy positive camber....the opposite of what you want.
You'd be better off using hardened washers between the ball joint and steering knuckle.

A R.gif

This gives approx 2 degrees when you use a 3/16" washer. Mancini Racing has them OR you can go to ACE hardware....

Finally, for me, the easiest way to differentiate a B/E LCA and an A version is....the B/E is curved along the bottom like so:

B LCA 5.jpg

I'm sure a C lower isn't a true bolt in. But, where there's a will......

C body lower ball joint is too different. The strut rod and sway bar positioning is strange too. The lower control arm bushing wont accommodate the A body locating pin/shaft.
Stick with the A body LCA....You can stack washers between the knuckle/spindle and lower ball joint to get some crazy negative camber.

Last edited:
Take 2 A body LCA. Cut each in the same place but however much longer you want the arm to be and weld them together. With reinforcement plates it will be good to go and probably be stronger than stock.

So do as indicated above.. washers/spacers to lengthen right side along with offset upper bushings if more is needed. on left side grind mounting pads on balljoint/spindle to gain some along with offset upper bushings .

dynamite info, I am impressed! this oughta be plenty to get me going. I didn't even think of the UCA bushings. thanks again guys! RR. PS any thoughts on toe out?

I think Moog is the only source for the offset bushings. also shorten the right side strut about 3/8" to gain some positive castor. Toe Out for dirt cars. 3/8-1/2"

Alright! All noted & we should be kicking some chebby butt come next april. this 63 dart/360/904/7&1/4 (welded spiders) is going to come in way lighter than them. My buddy complained that it was pushing in the corners & your alignment specs will resolve that. Thank you! RR

Last edited:
I want to add a pass side E body LCA to my 63 dart for a camber increase (high banked dirt track, 9" drum brakes). Is this a bolt in? If not what needs machined? Thank you for your time. RR

Buy a set of HDK small ball joint tubular UCAs with adjustable ends (poly or heims). Designed for the HDK coil over conversion but used on any A-body to improve / or add additional caster / camber without putting the UCA in a bind. Available in big and small ball joint applications....$298 complete (plus shipping)

20210127_130911.jpg

-
Back