A-Body Hurst Comp Plus Reference Pics.

-

1968FormulaS340

Reaction score
A-Body Hurst Comp Plus Reference Pics.

I have seen many posts about shifters and what is right for an a-body.

Although this is the over the counter version (not the factory installed version), It is correct in form and function for an a-body.

This is the shifter that was in my car at time of purchase. It has been replaced by the original Inland.

I hope these pics help some of you.

DSC00522.jpg

DSC00523.jpg

DSC00524.jpg

DSC00525.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

This is the parts counter version of an a body shifter, it is not a factory version. That is not a GM handle. Hurst offered many handles over the counter, this is one of them.

This is what happens when you hardly look at your car for years then get on the net and play Mr. Knowitall. Slight clearance is required for the straight rods.

DSC00530-1.jpg

That looks identical of my setup. My only question is there is no way the straight rods would work with my crossmember, but then it was a column automatic. What if anything? did they do with a 4 spd. crossmember? different than an auto crossmember?

Same one I put in my 73, and that is the correct handle for a Competition Plus.

First of all I guess what we are calling" THE SHIFTER" here is usually refered to as the "SHIFTER MECHANISUM".The shifter mech in the picture was used in hi-performance A,B and E bodys.I have a picture of the correct shifter rods for a 68/69 barracuda if you want to see them.People switch to the shifter mech in that picture which should have the number 6353 on the reverse tab because it allows you to use the hurst pistol grip shifter handle in an a-body.

This is an aftermarket shifter (did not come in a Mopar car from the factory)

No mopar I ever parted out (and there was LOTS from 1984-1995 when they were a dime a dozen) had the stop adjusters (which is REQUIRED for some GM applications or you will damage the trans)

The other giveaway is the oversize shifter holes for use with bushings, also not factory.

I had 18 4-speeds hoarded up at one time to give you an idea how many cars didn't escape the driveway of death as it was known.

I said it was not a factory shifter in 2 posts including the very first.

The idea here was to provide pics of a-body Hurst Comp Plus. I wanted to give the people with the "What shifter is this" question something to find if they do a search.

The stop bolts you see front and back are part of the over the counter Comp Plus. They are used for removing excess throw.

The idea here was to provide pics of a-body Hurst Comp Plus. I wanted to give the people with the "What shifter is this" question something to find if they do a search.

The stop bolts you see front and back are part of the over the counter Comp Plus. They are used for removing excess throw.
I couldnt say whether that is a factory shifter mech or not.I have seen it on tons of mopars over the years and have used it on many mopars myself.I do know it bolts right up to the factory shift rods.Hard to say one way or the orther seems interesting that that particular shifter mech would be on so many mopars and not be factory.

Yup. This is the one most people are looking for. I hope the pics will at least help 1 person in the future.

It is noticeably better than the Inland I have in the car now. The Inland is fine for a street car but can be a little vague when quick, precise shifting is required.

I have a Inland shifter in my Fastback for the moment, but I´ve got a Hurst shifter mechanism in my attic. Not sure of how the stick look like.
I´ll have to take a look at it. Maybe I´ll try it out to see if it would make a big different when shifting compared to the Inland.

Thanks for the great info, 1968FormulaS340

Yes you did, sorry about that. I was just reading the post immediately above mine and providing the link to Brewers in case anyone wanted it. Was happy to find a new comp plus shifter for $200, Brewer's are good value.

I couldnt say whether that is a factory shifter mech or not.I have seen it on tons of mopars over the years and have used it on many mopars myself.I do know it bolts right up to the factory shift rods.Hard to say one way or the orther seems interesting that that particular shifter mech would be on so many mopars and not be factory.

the stock factory mopar hurst shifter, and the aftermarket hurst comp-plus shifter, look very similar

Looks like mine, except it does not have the 2 bolts on the bottom of the stick; the stick goes right through to the shifter mechanism.
I added a black ball and a good boot.

DSC03123.jpg

DSC04130.jpg

Looks like mine, except it does not have the 2 bolts on the bottom of the stick; the stick goes right through to the shifter mechanism.
I added a black ball and a good boot.

THIS is the correct A-BODY, non-console, hurst aftermarket replacement for the inland in '66/'67/early '68. I have mine with all the original paperwork including application, instructions, and ALL part numbers. Husrt did NOT have a removeable handle for '66 and '67. This was true with the GTO as well. This is a Comp+, and has the adjustable stops. The console shifter was a one piece handle as well, and was for '66/'67/early /68.
As far as I know back in the '60s and early '70s when A-body cars were new, Hurst didn't offer an aftermarket replacement for cars that came with a hurst shifter from Chrysler, due to the fact that Hurst sold them.

The fwd shift rods are incorrect, no bends; rev. looks correct. Looks like a gm hurst shifter handle.
That is a GENERIC Hurst Competition plus. A one size fits all deal that was sold in speed shops. it is not A-body specific, but was New Process specific. Probably the reason that handle looks like a GM unit to you is that there was an old Corvette handle that was nearly identical but shorter.

Since we are using this thread for reference, I also want to add that the shift handle on the shifter that is pictured by the original poster is not only the generic competition plus, it is also the identical shift handle for the generic Mastershift 3-speed shifter.
But wait there's more. It is also the generic shift handle for the Auto/stick 1, automatic trans shifter.
They used those handles for EVERYTHING.

shifter1.jpg

This is the shifter mech I just got from 340_833 dart.

It bolted right into my 67 barracuda with zero issues whatsoever.

Since it came out of an A-body, it was amazing that I did not even have to turn any of the adjustments to line the rods up.
Of course I put a pistol grip shifter in it that I got from another member a while back.

Here's what she looks like.

I just need to get the square type boot and ring.

47-1.jpg

-
Back