A Body LARGE bolt pattern rear brakes

-
And if you really want to hook..get rid of those garbage bfg's,and get yourself some m/t's..and when you twist those stock axles i'll be right here to say.."i told ya' so"...:-D

Maybe I should just get a 3,800-rpm converter, move the frame rails in about 4", tub it, put in a Dana 60-series 4.88, and bolt on some 10.5" Hoosier radials... LOL! Low 11's here I come!!!!!!!! :cheers:

I agree these BFG tires aren't very sticky, but maybe they'll keep the axles in 1 piece for awhile... Not worried about the third member; I think it'll live...8)

Holy snapped axel,wheel passing,1/4 crunching,*** dragging BATMAN!!!!

Picture 010.jpg

Bill did you ever pull those axles and see if the splines twisted ?

I like to err on the side of caution so to me a 360 with 10lbs of boost , I'd be eating mac and cheese for a few months and save for the axles

a buddy of mine used to race an 85 mousetang with a stick , slicks and stock axles in an 8.8 , he was racing for a trophy one day and decided he would start launching at at 5000 rpm , he was doing good and was on his way to winning the event , too bad the stock axles gave up on launch number 3 . Heads up class and the guy he was going against was a half second slower ...

taking your spare set of axles will not help much if you bust the axles and you have to pull the chuck to get all the pieces out .

John, Good post.

Yes, I bought a 3.55:1 center section fronm a friend about three years ago, and installed it. No twist then. I haven't put but MAYBE 2,000 miles on the car since then. I bought a 4.10 S-G for it the other day and when I swap those third members, I'll be giving it a real once-over for any evidence of twist. You're surely right about it not helping much to have the spares with me if it breaks in the axle spline area.I've got a 1972 Fender Mustang bass that I never use (have a Precision I like better), that is like new. Maybe it's headed for E-Bay.... lol! I might be able to get enough for it to pay for a set of Mosers.... we'll see.

Thanks a lot for your concern and your good advice!

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas

The moser axels(BBP,green bearings installed)I ordered through a guy on this site were $429 and that,s shipping included to Toronto,Canada.To me that,s an awesome deal.For you it would be atleast $50 cheaper.Start saving $$$.

If you stick with 30 spline axles, about 500-550 is really the limit. There's a reason the manufactures don't have a warranty on those sticks.

A 360 boosted with 10psi, I'd be thinking about a Dana. Especially if you plan on hooking it.

When I ordered my Moser axles they told me they didn't care how I break them because they are guaranteed not to fail, period.
Just so everyone knows, it is not expensive to put rear disc on your mopar.
Here is a link to the directions and parts list:
http://www.tallzagauctions.com/Mopar Medium RDB(1-7-06).doc

They also sell some other products to convert front brakes:
http://www.tallzagauctions.com/Products.html

This set up here is the really good one for the front brakes on your A body mopar:
http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

What ever axles you go with if you are going to be doing a lot of hard launches with sticky tires paint a white stripe the length of the axle. You can then periodically pull the axle and see how much they are twisting as the white stripe becomes a barber pole stripe.

You can then make the decision to replace the axles before they get to the point of breaking.

Backing plates for 10x 2 1/2 inch brakes,97-99 Dakota backing plates.Old plates just can,t be found so I went with the Dakota ones,they fit great,no problems.

JohnRR...

As it happens, the sbp Centerline wheels I'm using in the back have a spec-size hole for the wheel lugs (the wheels are lug-centric), and the 7/16" and 1/2" wheel lugs that screw onto the studs both have the same outside diameter, so I can just install the half-inch studs in the drilled-out (by 1/16") original axle stud holes and the wheels will still fit (with no modification.)

I don't usually luck out like that; I must be holding my mouth right these days.... Or, maybe God's just muttering under his breath, "Big wheel studs won't save your considerable *** when the axle snaps, sonny..." LOL!

I see Moser parts in my future, but the piggy bank is empty, right now... :angry7:

-
Back