"a" body pistol grip

-

dmoore

NO IT'S NOT RESTORED
Reaction score
I believe this topic has been addressed in the past but can't remember the general consensus....my 72 original Plymouth brochure shows an available pistol grip shifter for the Duster however in my 30 + years of involvement with these cars I have never once seen any "A body" with one from the factory.....thoughts? :?

I am almost positive a pistol grip was never offered in any A-Body car. Maybe you have a brochure that shows options for the 1972 year line up?

The trigger is the problem.......There ARE suppliers that make a pistol handle to mount on top of the console shift shafts.......They include a trigger for normal lockout operation.........They're a direct replacement for the regular push-button handle system.....But I can't remember the name of the company.......

The one I pictured is an automatic, cable operated, but no trigger and no lockout......real suicide shift, straight line.........Love it.

I've seen a lot of them in A bodies....but none from the factory that I know of.

Its not the handle I need. I have a B&M shifter and it has the lock out deal you pull up on. It would be hard to operate that with a pistol grip.

I am almost positive a pistol grip was never offered in any A-Body car. Maybe you have a brochure that shows options for the 1972 year line up?

I do have an original brochure that shows it being available.....I think the idea was deleted about the same time the cars were coming out in 1970...I'll try and snap a photo of the picture & wording....Dave

Made by Gunslinger:

Dart061.jpg

had to modify it (via Jason) to fit, as R-1-3 positions were up under the dash.

BTW, LOVE IT!!!

Here is mine.Came out of a 71 Barracuda non console car....mine fits really nice.
Barracuda005.jpg

Andrew/Kidd

I do have an original brochure that shows it being available.....I think the idea was deleted about the same time the cars were coming out in 1970...I'll try and snap a photo of the picture & wording....Dave

I believe you. They did a lot of stuff like that. Put stuff on posters in brochures....I bet the salesmen hated that crap too. Makes me wonder though.....if what you have is a brochure with a sho nuff photo.....there had to be one didn't there?

I need one of them for an automatic. But cant figure out how to keep the bump trigger operational.

How does the trigger on an a body auto work? By pushing the button doesn't it push a rod down to release the catch?
If so it is very much like the stock shifter in my Sebring.
Stock shifter has button on front that levers and pushed down a rod to release the catch.
sebringinterior.jpg

New shifter works on a slide principal where you just push down to release. To get it to work i cut down the outside tube with a small pipe cutter and then cut down the plastic inside release so it was a little higher. The shifter handle itself attaches with a set screw. Gunslinger has one with a lever but when I bought the new grips for mine he told me who made mine (slips my mind now) and showed me the prototype of one like it using the same principal so it didn't have the trigger.
IMG_6157.jpg

You can install a pistol grip in just about anything these days. Here's one in my 95 Neon 5 spd.

ps101017005.jpg

Mines a B-body shifter with cherrywood handle.Josh try www.Gunslinger727.com for the handles.

Is that a 71 up B body? I had a buddy with the E body non console version in his 67 Formula S Cuda. It was too short making you bend forward to reach 1 and 3.

Never mind, the gunslinger website clered it up. According to them its a 71 up B body non console shifter. Very cool.

Duncam Motor Sports make a pistol grip shifter for the automatic. I have one in my 72 Swinger w/console, no trigger you just push the whole shifter handle down. They send you enough parts so you rebuild the whole shifter assembly, if I can do it anybody can. Looks great and if you didn't know any better you would think it is factory. John

-
Back