A body Rat rod

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
As the title says, I will be rat rodding a 1972 Dodge Demon.

Satin black 2k paint, orange strip, orange rims.

I'm just wondering if anyone on here has seen 1 or has any pics.

Please don't try to talk me out of this I just want a really cool car that will be a little different.

Btw it will have a modern sound system. 383 bb with about 400hp and a dana 60 rear end

Rick
:banghead:

lol way ahead of ya buddy..or at least I was until I painted the car. was told at alot of shows that my ratrod was cool...but it was just my old beater dart heh.

I may do something along those lines as well. This is a 73 Duster but I have all the parts to make it a Demon. It's on hold as I've switched over to working on a 69 Dart.

The black epoxy primer from SPI has UV inhibitor so could be used as a final coat - its satin not completely flat and looks mean :D.

I don't have any great ideas yet, just keeping it very bare bones, minimalistic interior, maybe some odd retro dash, all chrome blacked out

Maybe delete the marker lamps. Very dark window tint.

I've got some slotted mags from the 70s that could be sprayed black.

Attachments

• Duster primed side.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,085
IMG_1515.jpg

I may do something along those lines as well. This is a 73 Duster but I have all the parts to make it a Demon. It's on hold as I've switched over to working on a 69 Dart.

The black epoxy primer from SPI has UV inhibitor so could be used as a final coat - its satin not completely flat and looks mean :D.

I don't have any great ideas yet, just keeping it very bare bones, minimalistic interior, maybe some odd retro dash, all chrome blacked out

Maybe delete the marker lamps. Very dark window tint.

I've got some slotted mags from the 70s that could be sprayed black.

That looks sic lol

My son and i are building a 73 charger he's decided to paint it hot rod flatz sublime or plum crazy flatz i personally think it's too new to rat rod but i have seen quite a few 70s cars/trucks turning up around here and even some newer chargers and 300s painted flat black [murdered out] as they say. So go for it!!

Hadn't heard the term (I know, out of touch). Had to look it up. Doesn't seem so cool after reading this :(

Is "Murdered Out" Getting "Played Out''?
People have been referring to cars as "murdered out" so much lately that I can't even remember what people used to call an all black car. Its not like Rob Dyrdek was the first person to ever have an all black car, but with the help of a little television network called MTV, he was able to ignite arguably the largest trend in automotive customizing history. According to one of Dyrdek's friends, "murdered out came from us seeing a completely blacked out [Ferrari 360] Modena." Dyrdek quipped, "that thing is so black it looks like a ninja is just gonna pop out and start murdering people." And just like that, what was once just an all black car became "murdered out." I wonder though; is the whole "murdered out" fad going down the path of neon under glow, spinners, and the hundreds of other now defunct automotive fads that preceded it? Is "murdered out" played out?

As much as I like the all blacked out look, I miss the days when everyone with a black car didn't immediately tint their taillights and spray paint their wheels. Where's the creativity in that? From Honda Civics to Dodge Chargers to Ferrari F430s, this fad has spread across every inch of the car industry. I think I realized that the murdered out look had jumped the shark though when I saw an all matte black, Toyota Prius in Boulder, CO a couple of months ago! I think we should all agree that once the Prius owners embrace a trend, the rest of us need to get off the merry-go-round. I mean, lets look at the term's originator, professional skateboarder and reality TV star, Rob Dyrdek. Even he has moved on-to the polar opposite side of the spectrum. He's wrapping his vehicles in matte white vinyl film. Has the murdered out look evolved into matte finishes in general? As far as I know, Dyrdek hasn't come up with a catchy term for this look yet though. It still seems more under the radar.

Long story short, I think the custom automotive industry is currently lacking the creativity of the hotrod era. A time when someone did something cool and innovative, they didn't all just copy it- they saw his hand and raised him!

I don't know where you got that quote from but who care's? Guys have been painting their hot rods flat black for decades. Just because the trendy hip kids have embraced it, so what? They will move on to the next fad in six months, and we will still be building hot rods.

If you like the look go for it. I was thinking of shooting my whole car satin black on the cheap while I saved the thousands of dollars that it's gonna take for a good paint job.

If you're planning on painting it a certain color to make it a rat rod, it's not a rat rod.

My rat rod. Not done yet. Still need to strip the vinyl roof. The passenger's side looks better, much more original paint burned off the top of the quarter and door on that side. And need to put the emblems back on the fender and get a better gas cap.

Isn't "Rat Rod" simply today's term for what used to be reffered to as a "Hot Rod"? Generally primered as the owner could not afford to paint the vehicle at the time. But yet the drivetrain was usually done and often had all the shine of the car.

Edit: Sorry, not an intentional hijack.....just thought of your choice as a Hot Rod.

I don't know where you got that quote from but who care's? Guys have been painting their hot rods flat black for decades. Just because the trendy hip kids have embraced it, so what? They will move on to the next fad in six months, and we will still be building hot rods.

If you like the look go for it. I was thinking of shooting my whole car satin black on the cheap while I saved the thousands of dollars that it's gonna take for a good paint job.

You're right of course. Especially since I'm in the sticks.
Also, who cares if it "qualifies" as being a "rat rod". :D
Here's my current ratty heap. Maybe it qualifies.

Attachments

• New 69.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 862

well the "murdered out" look(ugh, i even hate typing that phrase), isnt simply painting a car black. Basically its when really stupid people purposely paint a vehicle black in every possible way. flat Black body, flat black wheels, black grille, black head lights/taillights, tinted that's as dark as possible. Until the car looks as awful as possible(not to them, but obviously, they have bad taste).

Though the term is generally applied when said stupid person does it to a modern car that has good paint.

well the "murdered out" look(ugh, i even hate typing that phrase), isnt simply painting a car black. Basically its when really stupid people purposely paint a vehicle black in every possible way. flat Black body, flat black wheels, black grille, black head lights/taillights, tinted that's as dark as possible. Until the car looks as awful as possible(not to them, but obviously, they have bad taste).

Though the term is generally applied when said stupid person does it to a modern car that has good paint.

Indeed. Murdering out a car, I thought, was pretty much only for newer vehicles. there's very few that it even looks remotely decent on, IMO. But all of the ones I have seen have had gloss black paint, not flat.

itshome004.jpg

Mines been like this for some time now, going to be changing it significantly though. Keeping the hot rod look but I have more things i want to do to the grill and tail lights

Isn't "Rat Rod" simply today's term for what used to be reffered to as a "Hot Rod"? Generally primered as the owner could not afford to paint the vehicle at the time. But yet the drivetrain was usually done and often had all the shine of the car.

I thought a rat rod was a hot rod that looked ratty, usually t-buckets and stuff.

How I visualize the words:

Hot Rod- Clean, sleek, oversized engine, flashy paint.

Rat Rod- Held together by tack welds and bondo, almost always flat black or no paint, oversized engine.

Damn that term got some of ya'll riled up,i personally hate that look [everything black] i like some chrome and shiney paint [but some of us can't afford the paint]. In the case of our Charger my son [soul financier of this project] wishes it to be painted Hotrod Flatz [even tho i sugessted glossy] color of his chooseing,and i will do as he wishes just as ya'll would do [like it or not] if it were a paying customer. I will not call any planned project a ratrod nor would i call a car newer than the 40s a ratrod. True ratrods were built by broke hotrodders in their garage with no plan using what they had to make it work,not the ratrods built today that are thought out [altho unique and very cool] they are not true ratrods [in my opinion]. It's your car do what you wish without worrying about what others think. We'll just call ours unfinished muscle.

72Dodge;1969711501]My rat rod. Not done yet. Still need to strip the vinyl roof. The passenger's side looks better, much more original paint burned off the top of the quarter and door on that side. And need to put the emblems back on the fender and get a better gas cap.

Too nice to be a rat. It was tough for me to choose between one like yours, or my 69.

DANG!! That is a gem Idaho!

Thanks. I'll be giving it some TLC - no rat job for this one.

It's your car do what you wish without worrying about what others think.

I agree. Folks get too hung up on trends and labels.

Thanks everyone.

I should have added that all the chrome will be on the car and the engine will also have a lot of chrome. Just love that look.

The Demon strips will be painted on with candy orange paint the grill needs repairs so that will be blacked out

Well they have a rat rod show here in kansas every year. What I was told that a rat rod was 1970 and older . Most the cars I see there are just unrestored cars With engine rebuilt . There are of really old cars like 27,28 29 dodge trucks and cars and old Chevys and fords that the body looks like it was dragged out of a field and thrown on a frame and huge engine with maybe just strait pipes as exaust . Gassers are at rat rod show and most will have steal wheels painted red . I was Abel to get my duster in one of the shows here one year, the guy told me only reason he would let it in the show was because it had rust and flat black paint but when hood was opened you would find a 383 bb mopar my car was the newest car at the show .

View attachment image-3805797074.jpg

View attachment image-828328231.jpg

-
Back