A body Rat rod

-
I know the answer to the question in your signature.
Its cause the frontend is 20 feet in the air

mines not, and no they dont...ever :D
offtopic.gif

for the naysayers....hooker and hedman long tubes, i have both
slant 6 torsion bars
old shocks
two years old
dont burn wires
daily driven
never ONCE have they bottomed out
pics are a month old

Attachments

• header clearance1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 371
  • heeder.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 377
I'll jump back into this thread because I've always wondered about your signature also. I have the cheap Hooker headers and they hang low on the right side. I have new torsion bars, shocks, rebuilt front end etc. Your signature insinuates that we have done something wrong with our installation or that there is something wrong with our cars.

What brand of "cheapy" headers are you running that don't hang down low. Maybe you should change your signature to say "My cheapyfill in the brand headers don't scrape" That would be helpful to other members.

attachment.php

Ill end with, people put cheap headers on with either, shot to sh*t T bars and they scrape or they put new tbars In an crank them down so the car rides low. They work decent with factory ride hieght

Factory ride height:
352837124.jpg

dodge_dart_swinger_side_red_1975.jpg

My main point here is there is ALOT of bad mojo around here with cheap headers. Yeah Ill agree they aren't the best by any means but that's why they are cheap. we can't all go out and buy TTI headers.

Can we get back to the OPs original topic now?

mines not, and no they dont...ever :D
offtopic.gif

for the naysayers....hooker and hedman long tubes, i have both
slant 6 torsion bars
old shocks
two years old
dont burn wires
daily driven
never ONCE have they bottomed out
pics are a month old

I'll jump back into this thread because I've always wondered about your signature also. I have the cheap Hooker headers and they hang low on the right side. I have new torsion bars, shocks, rebuilt front end etc. Your signature insinuates that we have done something wrong with our installation or that there is something wrong with our cars.

What brand of "cheapy" headers are you running that don't hang down low. Maybe you should change your signature to say "My cheapyfill in the brand headers don't scrape" That would be helpful to other members.

Ill end with, people put cheap headers on with either, shot to sh*t T bars and they scrape or they put new tbars In an crank them down so the car rides low. They work decent with factory ride hieght

My main point here is there is ALOT of bad mojo around here with cheap headers. Yeah Ill agree they aren't the best by any means but that's why they are cheap. we can't all go out and buy TTI headers.

Can we get back to the OPs original topic now?

I run hooker super comp in my duster and they scrape at factory hieght and also have TTIs in my dart no scrapes at much lower than factory ride hieght. my dart also has factory worn out /6 bars.

But anyway back to topic

you dont have to paint the wheels orange and my cheap headers dont scrape

Attachments

• mail[1].jpg
    125 KB · Views: 382
you dont have to paint the wheels orange and my cheap headers dont scrape

No you don't have to paint them . But rat rodders live by the kill billit slogan . And Crome wheels are out in there book . Your car would be considered a gasser

hell rat rods don't need paint, they are usually put together from a bunch of different obscure parts.check my gallery lol

If you're planning on painting it a certain color to make it a rat rod, it's not a rat rod.
agreed- as soon as you do anything to the 'paint', it can no longer be considered a rat rod (imho).

Ugh, satin black...go glossy...
agreed again- what the hell is the attraction nowadays to flat/satin paint? I have never, ever, once, in my 48 years on this planet, heard someone say "oooh, that car is so nice and satin!!!!"

Then again, I keep my cars nice and shiny, so maybe that's why lol.

I found this in a another thread here on FABO,,,looks rat to me, or as rat as an A-body can be..

Then I think what we have here is a difference in terminology. That appears to me to be a well built hot rod that just happens to be painted satin black.

Rat rods use a mis-match of used parts. Floor boards made out of road signs. Steering wheels so ugly that they are cool. Rust and sun faded paint are worn as a badge of honor. Usually the only thing nice on them are the wheels, and they are usually painted steelies with pin striping on them or some other retro wheel. There are usually NO new parts visible and or points will be deducted. Something like this...
37.jpg

Then I think what we have here is a difference in terminology. That appears to me to be a well built hot rod that just happens to be painted satin black.

Rat rods use a mis-match of used parts. Floor boards made out of road signs. Steering wheels so ugly that they are cool. Rust and sun faded paint are worn as a badge of honor. Usually the only thing nice on them are the wheels, and they are usually painted steelies with pin striping on them or some other retro wheel. There are usually NO new parts visible and or points will be deducted. Something like this...
37.jpg

Yes, your pic is the definition of a RatRod for sure,,,but reread my post, I said as Rat as an A-Body can be. I wasn't putting up an example of a true Ratrod ;) Cheers

Yes, your pic is the definition of a RatRod for sure,,,but reread my post, I said as Rat as an A-Body can be. I wasn't putting up an example of a true Ratrod ;) Cheers

Ah, I see that now. We got a little off topic there for a little bit. But now we are back on track.

Thanks guys,

Guess my car will be a satin black hot rod that I built

Call it what we want it will be just like the car I had when I was 17.

I found this in a another thread here on FABO,,,looks rat to me, or as rat as an A-body can be..

View attachment 1714561893

Love that car. Its a prime example of a well thought out, very creative build. I like cars that are different.

Gloss is nice. Satin on the right car can also be very nice. I like the way satin shows off body lines.

my old rat i was building last year ya its a olds but got a great deal on it was the flat six. i just rattle canned the crap out of it. all the paint was rattle can lots of random parts in the inside idk were other pics are now. ran it without a rear bumper and made a piece of metal cover where it was. had one break light in rear window i home made and the hood and trunk latches were motorcycle brake handles.

Attachments

• 419264_10150531454463531_919125028_n.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 218
Then I think what we have here is a difference in terminology.
37.jpg
Agreed this is a rat rod (around here anyways) any pre 60 truck usaully stuckntogether with bubble gum looks.The guys with money have started painting them rust brown then top coating with flat black,then sanding thru the black to give the look of rust around the edges.
The complete flat or satin cars are called murdered or I say blacked out.
A gasser is an old drag car where they would jack the front up to load the rear for traction and usaully have a straight front axle.
a hot rod is anything that is built to run fast from an old car(its hard to call a new car a hot rod as they are already built for a certain level of performance)
Painting a car like you described is done alot and can look very good but be prepared for the following statement-question"Looks good man,when are you going to finish it?"As some will think its just in primer.Just saying.

o and the olds was flat not gloss just wet from washing also did some had pin striping around door handles, dash and trunk. it was still a work in progress but they let me in the rat rod classification at a local car show and got a lot of compliments.

In my humble opinion, I always remebered that TRUE rat rods were cars that were not yet finished and not "pretty" enough for shows. The new term or trend in the rat rods I think is poor thinking. Why spend money just to ugly something up? The real rat rods of the 50's-60's were showing bodywork and primer spots and the main focus was either body custimization or just going fast and not worrying about the appearance. Our culture now calls a grungy or flat black car with red wheels and pinstripes a rat rod. I think this is so much easier achieved when we go back to the original type of rat rod and jsut drive while we restore.

my old rat i was building last year ya its a olds but got a great deal on it was the flat six. i just rattle canned the crap out of it. all the paint was rattle can lots of random parts in the inside idk were other pics are now. ran it without a rear bumper and made a piece of metal cover where it was. had one break light in rear window i home made and the hood and trunk latches were motorcycle brake handles.

Cool grille. Baby teeth. :toothy5:

-
Back