A-Body Round #2- My '76 Scamp restore...

-
Is it real stiff?
More than with the original slant 6 bars, but not bad. I've got the front kinda low so I don't think they are torsioned too much... truthfully, I think I might end up raising the front a little bit eventually as I do get a tiny bit of tire/fender rub when slow speed tight turn over bumps, such as pulling into steep parking lots, etc.

It was on a slight downhill, but pretty surprising!

Screenshot_20230902_110846_Speedometer.jpg

Well, try as I might, I couldn't get the rear end center section I rebuilt to quiet down and it seemed to be getting louder. Finally got it pulled out again and sent it off to Moser to have professionally set up with a new gear set. Hopefully get it back in a week or two, install, and it be nice and quiet.....Fingers crossed.

I got a better picture in the sunlight today. Also measured for the driveshaft so I can get that in process.

Even though the pre-bent exhaust I bought doesn't fit at all, I've at least got the headpipe on and fired it up so the PS pump would run and I could check tire clearance. The fronts with the 1.25" wheel spacer clear well... well enough that I think I'll lower the front a bit more before I would take it in for alignment.

View attachment 1716053631

View attachment 1716053635

View attachment 1716053636

View attachment 1716053637

View attachment 1716053638
Just found this thread whilst doing a search. Did you space purely for positioning in the arch or did you need to space away from the caliper?

Just found this thread whilst doing a search. Did you space purely for positioning in the arch or did you need to space away from the caliper?

To get the inner edge of the tire away from the inner fenderwell mostly... at full lock it'd drag on the inside.

Was it necessary to space it by the full 1 1/4” ? I ask as I’ve got the same brake set up on my Valiant (‘68) and I’m looking to pick up some wheels but choices are limited over here so I’m trying to figure out what backspace I’d need.

I can't say with 100% certainty. I do know that any shallower though and I wouldn't have been able to put the center hole plugs in the wheels though as the cap on the end of the hub is pretty close to them. I know I couldn't go less than 1-1/4" with my set up.

You could probably go to the hardware store and get a bunch of Williams Washers and stack them up to emulate some spacers just for measuring purposes to fit a wheel in place.

Well, try as I might, I couldn't get the rear end center section I rebuilt to quiet down and it seemed to be getting louder. Finally got it pulled out again and sent it off to Moser to have professionally set up with a new gear set. Hopefully get it back in a week or two, install, and it be nice and quiet.....Fingers crossed.

Rebuilt center section got back to me yesterday, so I spent last night and this morning putting it in. I noticed the preload is much higher than I had it set before. Before I was able to spin the axles by hand, but this time I had to use a pry bar to spin them during install to get the axle flange nuts installed...

Anyway, just took about an 18 mile test drive and it was so much quieter than before. Kinda weird to be able to speak without having to shout and not have to crank the radio!

I probably should have had the 3rd member set up by a pro before rather than trying it myself, but I did learn a lot through my failed attempt... I'd do it again but now have the knowledge of what one properly set up should feel like rather than just what I gathered reading online before.

Well, went ahead and took advantage of some Black Friday weekend sales and ordered the Torqstorm supercharger and the Holley Sniper fuel injection system... I feel poor now...lol... but it should be cool... I'll need to order more parts too but need to wait for another payday or two...

Got this beauty today... probably a month or so until the Torqstorm shows up... will need to start gathering more goodies soon.

20231129_175625.jpg

I’ve always wanted a hurricane intake! If I ever build a slant, that’ll definitely be on the list

Thanks! This one is actually the short runner vs the Hurricane... I kinda wanted to do Hurricane but was nervous about the extra space it takes trying to occupy the same space as the Torqstorm will, so went short... Still super pretty though!

Thanks! This one is actually the short runner vs the Hurricane... I kinda wanted to do Hurricane but was nervous about the extra space it takes trying to occupy the same space as the Torqstorm will, so went short... Still super pretty though!
Yeah that was definitely a smart move to go with the shorter version if you’re using a torqstorm. It’s gonna be sweet for sure!

Some good disassembly progress today getting ready for all the new goodies... Also decided I might as well go ahead and get the Dutras while I'm at it, so I'll order those this week.

Starting point this morning

20231230_105536.jpg

Ending point with the new manual steering stuff partway installed...

20231230_174159.jpg

20231230_174206.jpg

Bunches o' stuff stripped off...

20231230_174910.jpg

20231230_174929.jpg

Decided since I'm in it this far I should also clean and paint the engine bay... bunch of ziebart in there too that I need to clean out... Went ahead and stripped out more stuff, wiring harness, grill, lights, etc... Fingers crossed I think I just need to remove the 4 bolts to the TC through the starter hole and then lift the engine out... pretty sure everything else is disconnected already, but it is my first time yanking an engine- Hoping for another positive update for y'all tomorrow.

20231231_164059.jpg

Went until I ran out of paint... ordered 2 more spray cans of the FE5 red and some more of the plain black for bottom of hood.... wanted to do red on the bottom of the hood like it used to be but the black is like 1/10 the cost of the red, so making that sacrifice... at least it'll be fresh and clean... the red has a clear coat it still needs but I'll wait until the other cans come in and I can cover the thin spots before spraying the clear on.

20240107_110852.jpg

20240107_122522.jpg

You will be glad you took the time to do that now. Looking good!

-
Back