A body styles

-

dave ellis

Reaction score
I'm confused as to a body body styles. we're the square bodies like the 66 too early '70s replaced by the fastback dusters in etc. Or were they separate models?

66 is the last year for the Early A bodies

FB_IMG_1569846456005.jpg

FB_IMG_1569846474120.jpg

this should get you started but "A body" refers to the platform and it was shared by many models. The fast back styles like dusters and demons were made at the same time as some of "normal" sedan/couple body styles of the same year

Screenshot_20221115-180536_Chrome.jpg

A-bodies changed for 1967. Early A-bodies were 1966-older. Barracuda was an A-body through 1969. As the Barracuda changed platforms to the E-body there was a hole in the Plymouth A-body lineup along with a place to put the 340, so along came the Duster. For 1970 there was no Valiant two-door hardtop (there hadn't been one since 1966). That was remedied in 1971 with the introduction of the Scamp, which carried through the end of the A-body in 1976.

Over at Dodge things were a little different. The Dart Swinger (and Swinger 340) carried over from 1969, but as there had not been a sports roof Dodge A-body prior to 1970 there wasn't one for 1970. Dodge wanted something to compete with the Duster so the Demon was born for 1971. The name changed on the Demon to Dart Sport for 1973 and carried through the end of the A-body run. With the exception of the Canadian market 1970 saw the last performance two-door hardtop Dart. Demon/Dart Sport and Duster carried the performance options (340 through 1973, 360 through 1976) exclusively for the US market starting in 1971..

I would argue that there were several series of U.S. A-bodies. The '60-1, '62 (kind of a transition year....early body style with the later chassis changes), '63-6, '67-72, and '73-6. Naturally, there were changes from year to year, but, the differences in these groups were fairly major.

The A body Barracuda was replaced by the '70 Duster. This is when the 1970 Barracuda became the E body. I must say the '69 and earlier Barracudas were a more premium car compaired to the Duster.

Are you speaking of quality, or, the premium price line designation in the VIN?

I would argue that there were several series of U.S. A-bodies. The '60-1, '62 (kind of a transition year....early body style with the later chassis changes), '63-6, '67-72, and '73-6. Naturally, there were changes from year to year, but, the differences in these groups were fairly major.
I agree. I think that's a good assessment. I said ***. lol

67-76 usually has a common parts listing, but keep in mind when the Duster came out they also had that body style .Think "Dart Sport" in 73 even though they still had the Swinger as a two door traditional dart. and also the 4 door. i think wagons ended with the 66 model year. as far as parts alot of things are wheel base designated. there are alot of differences from year to year and things that youd think would interchange dont. The inside door lock position on the 67 ,68 is different than 69-72 and so on... it is a common thing that you wouldnt think would matter but it does.

67-76 usually has a common parts listing, but keep in mind when the Duster came out they also had that body style .Think "Dart Sport" in 73 even though they still had the Swinger as a two door traditional dart. and also the 4 door. i think wagons ended with the 66 model year. as far as parts alot of things are wheel base designated. there are alot of differences from year to year and things that youd think would interchange dont. The inside door lock position on the 67 ,68 is different than 69-72 and so on... it is a common thing that you wouldnt think would matter but it does.
Good info to have. Thanks, Dave

Curious what all suspension changes most likely happened from 61 to 62 on Lancer / Valiant ?

Curious what all suspension changes most likely happened from 61 to 62 on Lancer / Valiant ?
Between those two years, just the lower control arm when it comes to suspension. The K-member also changed along with all the steering components.

this should get you started but "A body" refers to the platform and it was shared by many models. The fast back styles like dusters and demons were made at the same time as some of "normal" sedan/couple body styles of the same year

View attachment 1716011018
Looks like the 73-76 Dart Sport (formerly the Demon) didn't make the list.

Wheelbase also had a few ranges ie; length and width between A bodies.

I bet the more we all discuss, the more confusing it gets.
The 60-2 Lancer/Valiant are As but usually pretty much considered one group/
The Early A's I consider 63-6 dodge/ply.
Ply cuda 67-9 one group. 70 up Cudas of course are E bodies.
67 up square bodies, ply/dodge
70-6 Duster, Demon, Dart Sport one group. Ma Mopar called them what? Sport Roofs? NOT square!

-
Back