a Body / swap to b body.

-

FU64RY

Reaction score
Is there a difference in the K from a to b body?
I have a built A body slant, I want to put into a 64 Plymouth B Body.
Are the engine mounts the same?

The frame rails are about 1'' wider on a B-Body, so the A-Body K-Member won't interchange.

I would think the engine mounts on both K frames would be the same if they are both 6 cyl cars… BUT there is something about the early/mid 60’s B cars having the engine mounts being further forward, something to watch for if that applies to the sixes.
The engine mounts may be different from late to early years, Spool mounts or biscuit mount will be different depending on what year the /6 is.
B body K is wider than A body where it bolts to the wider frame rails on the ‘64.
Sorry I don't have a definitive answer but thats what I do know (that I can remember) until someone here schools both of us better.
Rustyratrod Im lookin at you.

I would think the engine mounts on both K frames would be the same if they are both 6 cyl cars… BUT there is something about the early/mid 60’s B cars having the engine mounts being further forward, something to watch for if that applies to the sixes.
The engine mounts may be different from late to early years, Spool mounts or biscuit mount will be different depending on what year the /6 is.
B body K is wider than A body where it bolts to the wider frame rails on the ‘64.
Sorry I don't have a definitive answer but thats what I do know (that I can remember) until someone here schools both of us better.
Rustyratrod Im lookin at you.
The slant is a casting date 65 and the 64 b body is a 64.

If your B body is a 6 cyl car then I would think the 64/65 engine would drop right in.
Don’t quote me on that though cause I’m all a body and ma mopar did some crazy things with leftover parts and such.

I thought the K was the same on B bodies whether a /6 or. V8.

If your B body is a 6 cyl car then I would think the 64/65 engine would drop right in.
Don’t quote me on that though cause I’m all a body and ma mopar did some crazy things with leftover parts and such.
That's what I though. The engines are all the same size externally right?

"A" body "K" members are the same in 64-66.
Slant six engine brackets are different between the "A" bodies and "B" bodies. I have to assume the insulators are different, also. The factory parts manual list several different part numbers and some of those numbers are the same configuration as other numbers, but the durometer of the rubber is different. So there is no way I can tell what numbers (if any) will swap.

Let me start over.
I have a fresh built 225 / that came out of a 65 date code a body.
I am going to pull the 225 / out of my 64 b body and put the engine that came out of the a body.
I am going to use the b body mounts and put them on the a 225 engine.
If the engines are exactly the same configuration, why would the size of a body and b body K make any difference?

I would think that all slant block mounting points would be the same. It wouldn't make sense to have different block castings for different years.

yup. blocks themselves are the same. A body B body truck van. mount brackets may be slightly different between the different chassis

If your "B" is a slant six car, the "A" body slant will fit right in. Just swap the required, bolt on pieces from the "B" slant engine onto the "A" slant engine.
Let me start over.
I have a fresh built 225 / that came out of a 65 date code a body.
I am going to pull the 225 / out of my 64 b body and put the engine that came out of the a body.
I am going to use the b body mounts and put them on the a 225 engine.
If the engines are exactly the same configuration, why would the size of a body and b body K make any difference?
It doesn't. Any slant six from 1960-1967 will swap out to any other slant six in the same year spread. Any slant six from 1968-1987 will swap out with another slant six with that year spread. A 1968-1987 slant six can be swapped out with a slant six from1960-1967, with a minor adaption for the flywheel/flexplate, and converter hole in the end of the crank. Any other change are related to "bolt on" parts depending on the year and model of the vehicle. A 60-67 slant cannot be easily swapped into a 68 or newer vehicle.
EDIT: There are different oil pans, and pickups, that are vehicle and year specific. You might have to swap these

Is there a difference in the K from a to b body?
I have a built A body slant, I want to put into a 64 Plymouth B Body.
Are the engine mounts the same?
From your original post, I thought that you wanted to put the engine AND K-Member out of your A-Body into a B-Body.
If the B-Body already has a slant 6 K-Member in it, it is as simple as using the mounts and insulators from the B-Body engine and swapping them onto the good engine and it'll bolt right up.

-
Back