A boys first broken pushrod.... LOL

-
How is your geometry? Could shim the rocker shafts and go with aftermarket adjusters w jam nuts. The factory one tend to back off sometimes.

What baxter61 said is a possibility. The pushrod cup may have made contact with the rocker.

Exactly.. I have seen this before when the factory adjusters back off. I swap to style with jam nut and make sure the cup is not anywhere close to rocker on full lift. Also make sure shafts are not mounted upside down.....

I guess you didn't see the rest of the thread.................

Bits and pieces, but after going back and reading the whole thing, I see you have mentioned everything I said. More opinions, the better I would think. He ask a question and I gave my 2 cents.

Bits and pieces, but after going back and reading the whole thing, I see you have mentioned everything I said. More opinions, the better I would think. He ask a question and I gave my 2 cents.

Perfectly OK. I'd be all over that "builder's" doorstep Monday.

It has to be Tuesday, because it's a holiday up here in Canada on Monday.

I am not happy about this, but I did bring those rockers to the builder.. He bought the cam I wanted and then ordered pushrods that were supposed to be right, and then installed the shaft wrong...

Since I'm goin to be taking it apart, and I have some cash saved up, what rockers should I replace them with!? Is there a performance benefit in doing so?

Your rockers are fine, but like was said, a set of adjusters with locknuts would be a nice upgrade. That is, assuming they have no abnormal wear from the shaft installation deal.... You really need shorter pushrods it looks like, you don't want the adjusters at either end of the extream, needs like 2 threads showing at the pushrod end with the last set correct..

Also.....if I remember correctly, I think you will need to tap the rockers out to get them to lose their locking action. Very simple. I think it's a 5/16 tap if I remember right. That has to be done though......IF I am remembering right. It's been a long time since I have messed with them.

You have 2K miles on it. I don't agree with the "starved for oil" bit. It's getting some oil or you've have more issues and you would have had them within a few hundred miles.
I agree with Replica - have the shop pull the rockers and you should be there when they do it to see what it looks like (and get pics). Have them fix the shaft placement, replace anything that's showing signs of getting hot. I doubt you'll find anything but you should have them check. Also have them check the pushrods for loose cups and that the cup on the pushrods is the correct radius for the rocker. I think they ordered 3/8 radius and it should be 5/16 IIRC. In that case the cup end may get stressed in odd directions and loosen up.

So they pulled the rockers today.

the shaft was upside down on the drivers side, but everything seems ok.

the passenger side has the broken pushrod, and one more ball on the adjuster that looks to be burned and dry.

They wanted to pull the intake to check the cam, but are going to give me a gauge to measure the lift on the broken pushrod lifter, and on beside it. That will tell if the cam lobe isnt wiped?

the guy thats there now, says the shaft upside down doesnt matter on this style rocker, only the stamped steel rocker.??

I am just keeping quiet til I see if the cam is ok or not.

I have a manual , that agrees with all of you guys, that those shafts have to have the knotch facing down.

Also, those are comp cams push rods, I have an old set of push rods that came with the adjustable rockers and shafts.

They are silver in colour , not black, and are shorter. by eye about a quarter inch. Would it not make sense to set everything up with those, to give more clearance.

The lifters are new , or were new, comp lifters. are the ends of all push rods the same?

the guy thats there now, says the shaft upside down doesnt matter on this style rocker, only the stamped steel rocker.??

Show him the photos I posted earlier which are right out of a Mopar shop manual. Not a Haynes, Chiltons, or Motors----a MOPAR shop manual

If it didn't matter, Ma would not have specified. In the correct position, the oil holes in the shaft are pointed "back" towards the ball ends of the rockers, which have holes through the rockers.

I agree with you. I remember that now from when I was working on my first engine...

Stupid mistake on their part, and now they are making excuses

I'm thinking now that since I have it all apart , aslong as my cam is good, I might as well upgrade to some nice crane rollers as someone mentioned.

It i did, I would I figure out what ratio I could use?

Pull the intake and look. It's easier to see if there is damage than to try and measure it.

Moper,you probaly right... But I just wasted my time measuring the broke one and another one, may not been the exact right way to measure it.

They both moved the same though..

(shrugging) then it must be right... Personally if I built it I'dmake damn sure I looked. If I paid someone to build it, I'd make them do it no charge.

.............n so far have not addressed the way--too--long pushrods...............

Your right. And I have to wait for a push rod anyways, I should pull the intake and have a look.

Their response was that those were the only ones they could get for adjustable rockers. I've lost what ever faith I had in them today after talking to them.

I have a set push rods that are shorter. Not a huge amount, butt the amount they are shorter, would give more clearance at the rocker.

I will go measure one of each.

Their response was that those were the only ones they could get for adjustable rockers. I've lost what ever faith I had in them today after talking to them.

I have a set push rods that are shorter. Not a huge amount, butt the amount they are shorter, would give more clearance at the rocker.

I will go measure one of each.

You can get pushrods in ANY length you want, with whichever style and size ends you want. Any engine builder should know that - and custom pushrods really are not that expensive in the grand scheme of things.

This place was referred to me. I'm really starting to think I should have looked around more.

Find a new shop. Any cam company can make you any length pushrods. I bet the used 273 4bbl push rods which will be to long because they are for a solid cam. Your running a Hyd. cam and need a shorter pushrod

Oh I'm done with these monkies.

I'm going to reslove this situation, get whatever I can for myslef from them and move on.

Like I said, I have a set of shorter rods on hand, and/ or will buy new ones.

I will pull the intake and double check the cam and lifters.

If all is good , would I notice more performance if I buy roller rockers?

Probably not enough to notice. The "more power" claims are usually from a more accurate rocker ratio, and that's not a ton of power there.
A note on pushrods - the geometry is set on a shaft type rocker system by the valve job. So the rocker type "should" not affect it. But - seeing these guys are morons - I'd say be careful when you do switch rockers, make sure you know exactly (by part number) what lifters you have, and when you have the rockers, then measure for the correcet ones and order them from Manton or Smith Bros. Either of those are fast turn around and excellent parts. You only want 1 thread or so showing out the bottom of the rocker body with the right preload.

-
Back