A/C and heater box removal

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
I going to be pulling the old wore out 318 in my 73 dart and replacing it with a rebuilt 360. The A/C doesn't work and the heater constantly blows hot air into the cabin no matter what, so I just want to get rid of it. I also want to get rid of as much stuff under the hood as possible so I can show off my aluminum headed 360 lol. I know there are two hoses that run from the water pump through the firewall and I assume to the heater box, can I remove all that? or do I run into issues with the actual functioning of the water pump? A/C I assume is easy to remove. This car will never be driven in the cold and on hot days. I just run with open windows anyways so in reality all that stuff is just in the way, also its more of a weekend car anyways.

take it all out smooth out your firewall.
the whole assembly is fairly e-z to remove-- more issues with the vacuum & control cables.

your box should look like this only with out the cracks--- you can see the mounting studs-- remove the nuts at the firewall, a couple of brackets inside the cab & start wiggling.

Lawrence

Attachments

• slantac 019 (Large).jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 224
  • slantac 018 (Large).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 225
You can loop a peice of heater hose from one nipple on the water pump to the other without any issue's at all to the pump.
Some people thread and plug the outlets on the pump.
Just don't trust those rubber caps they sell for capping them.

take it all out smooth out your firewall.
the whole assembly is fairly e-z to remove-- more issues with the vacuum & control cables.

your box should look like this only with out the cracks--- you can see the mounting studs-- remove the nuts at the firewall, a couple of brackets inside the cab & start wiggling.

Lawrence

from your photo I counted 6 nuts in the engine compartment.
What needs to be done to R/R the heater core

You can loop a peice of heater hose from one nipple on the water pump to the other without any issue's at all to the pump.
Some people thread and plug the outlets on the pump.
Just don't trust those rubber caps they sell for capping them.

There is a simple answer that would not kill the sale of your car should you decide or be forced to sell it in the future. What we think today may not be reality tomorrow.

I would loop the two heater hose nipples on the engine. I have read that path thru the heater box is important during engine warm up (bypasses the thermostat?). That said, I doubt that just plugging them off could hurt the engine, since surely many people have had plugged heater cores or water valves stuck closed. How did a Ga Tech grad wind up in Alberta? Colder up there isn't it?

from your photo I counted 6 nuts in the engine compartment.
What needs to be done to R/R the heater core

I did mine about 2 weeks ago and i just popped the clips off holding the two heater box halves together,but i missed one clip up on the right hand side by the kick panel and broke the heater box in that area. Not a big deal... It still sealed. Once I got the two halves apart I removed the 4 screws that held the heater core in place, then I removed the bracket that holds one of the heater cables between the heater core tubes. Then slide the old heater core out and put the new one in put it back together. All in all it was my first time changing one it took about an hour and a half. Unless you have factory A/C then it will be a little harder to do.

I hope this helps you

I guess the better idea is to just loop the two hoses. Like stated in the future it a probably a good idea to not remove the heater box completely. Currently the car does have ac on the 318, bit when I put the 360 in I'm not putting the ac back in.

-
Back