A/C Compressor bracket

-

D&R Const

Reaction score
Does anyone offer a bracket to mount the compressor down low and out of sight for the small block? Bouchillon makes one for big blocks that places the compressor where the power steering pump would typically be, but I have not been able to find one for small block.

I don't think so. Even the late model 5.7 / 6.1 has the a/c compumper mounted top center.
Lots of front wheel drive vehicles have the compressor mounted way down low but they also have plastic shielding to keep that electromagnetic clutch clean and dry.

... Lots of front wheel drive vehicles have the compressor mounted way down low but they also have plastic shielding to keep that electromagnetic clutch clean and dry.
Down low probably wouldn't be a problem since my 85 M-B put the R4 compressor down low w/ no shields. Low is best for keeping oil in the compressor which may be why many Chevy's w/ the R4 up high had failures, though many M-B did too. My 96 Voyager has the compressor low, and a short plastic shield. But I think the main purpose of the shield is to keep rain and snow out of the serpentine belt since those love to walk off.

Interesting. I never thought about any advantages other than concealment. Looking like I will have to make my own, I have not been able to find a ready to use bracket to mount the compressor down low on the driver side.

I just finished a custom AC bracket for my 64 slant engine (will post in that forum). I used a kit of 2 brackets w/ adjustable slots for a Sanden compressor, of ~1/4" steel that you can find on ebay. You must cut the plates and weld to a backing plate. There are many issues to trip one up. You want the slots oriented so you can swing the compressor away from the crank to tighten the belt. Alternatively, you can rigidly mount the compressor and share the belt with the alternator or p.s. pump for tightening, or use an adjustable idler pulley. There are York-Sanden adapter brackets that might get you started. I tried one w/ adjustable slots, but couldn't orient so the slots would work.

You need rigid mounting points, and often additional braces to prevent oscillations (in several directions). If you know Statics, there are 3 translations and 3 rotations possible that you must provide supports to oppose. Of course, the pulley groove must wind up in the correct spot, the compressor not bump into anything, and the ports be where you can get fittings on and swing a wrench. The last 2 are usually easier if the compressor is up high. Good luck. I spent way too much time on mine, but it does look cool.

-
Back