A/C compressor

-

68 CUDA FORMULA S

Reaction score
I have found a 1969 Chrysler Imperial with a big block in it. the air compressor pulley moves freely and the compressor it's self appears to be in good shape. My question is were all the air compressors the same for big block and small block? I am looking at this compressor to put on my 1974 Scamp with the 318 motor. Will it bolt up to the 318?
Thanks
Bob

As long as you have your small block brackets and hoses. The V twins just eat so much power. I switched over to a Denso from a mid 90s Intrepid. Had to make the bracket, fab some hoses and add a relay for the clutch but much less power draw.

I would assume the B/ C body compressors are larger displacement for more cooling capacity.

Hi,

There are two types of RV compressors. slant 6's got the smaller displacement RV type and V8's got the larger displacement RV-2. So, as long as the number of belt grooves on the clutch assembly are the same , the 69 compressor will fit on your small block with the right mounting brackets. One difference is the 69 Imperial compressor will have an EPR valve in it behind the suction port. Your 74 may not use an EPR valve A bodies changed from no EPR valve to using an EPR system somewhere around 74 so you need to check that out.

I wouldn't fool with an RV2 beast, especially if you don't have the small block brackets and plumbing for it. Most rodders today use a Sanden, and you can get new brackets for your 318 (Bouchillon, etc.). I suspect even some 1980's small blocks used a Sanden, since I found one on a JY Volare slant and grabbed the brackets.

One RV compressor fits all Mopar bodies and engines. A Bodies are the only Mopars that do not have a EPR valve in the compressor, they use a thermostatic switch to prevent evaporator freeze ups.

As long as you have your small block brackets and hoses. The V twins just eat so much power. I switched over to a Denso from a mid 90s Intrepid. Had to make the bracket, fab some hoses and add a relay for the clutch but much less power draw.

Do you have any pictures of this?

-
Back