A/C or no A/C in the Scamp?

-

DaveBonds

Garage Trash
Reaction score
My friend, who is running a heavily modified /6 duster, pulled the entire A/C system from his car and gave it to me, minus the engine components (compressor, brackets, pulleys, etc.)

He handed over both sections of the heater core, the A/C / Heater control, vacuum harness and vents.

The heater core that I have for the Scamp that is in it, has a brand new core and I have a spare that needs minor soldering. It works fine, the way it is.

If I do install this system, I'm going to put a more modern compressor down low and run a twin V belt off of the alternator with a different pulley, so the system will work better and stay out of the way, under the hood. I will be routing my own high and low pressure lines, insulation and build my own bracketry.

Factory stuff that I would run:

Heater / AC boxes
Heater / AC control and vacuum door harness
A/C condenser and line drier, evaporator and lines from the firewall, inboard.

Everything else will be aftermarket and I will relay the condenser. The car does not have a clutch fan at the moment and will likely not be getting one if I do this.

My question is; would this be worth the effort? The car is a cruiser. It will see the road and the A/C will be used at some points, especially on road trips to Nevada, Oklahoma and California, if I install it.

I don't have the tinted Airtemp glass for the car and won't likely be getting it, any time soon.

If not, I'm considering replacing the solid fan with a clutch fan.

F.I.Y. The firewalls on A/C equipped cars are different than non-A/C cars. A/C cars have a much larger hole for the blower fan on the right side. The A/C heater box is also much larger and heavier than it's non-A/C partners. My Scamp was A/C equipped and a non-A/C heater box just won't fly without major tweks. Thusly, the reverse holds true. Aftermarket A/C's are much better. My new A/C is the new 75/80 A/C. Go 75/80, roll down windows.

An under-dash "knee knocker" box would be easiest and cheapest. There are aftermarket units that hide behind the dash (Vintage Air, etc), but costly. What would impress this cheap bastard is if you pioneered installing a climate box from a newish car in an A-body, say a Mopar "cloud car" or Accord. Junkyards are over-flowing with those, so might be a cheap, slick solution.

Compressor mounting in a slant came up a few weeks ago. I posted photos of about 3 approaches for installing a Sanden. Easiest is brackets from a slant Aspen/Volare.

Somethin I've been thinking about..........this would probably have to be a junk yard DIY deal......is an evap mounted in the trunk. You can buy these, and I'd bet there are production cars that use 'em. Getting one small enough would be "the deal."

I haven't quite figured out how to duct the damn thing.................

If the A/C is for Amy, then go for it! IF not, then man up and roll the window down lmao :D

If you plan on modern refrigerant, a parallel flow condenser is better than the serpentine coil.

I have had great luck with the original AC in my 66 Barracuda. I changed dryer, expansion valve and compressor seals in 1980, has stayed charged since. Almost unbelievable. It is so hot and humid here, it is used all summer.

-
Back