A/C Question...

-

65LoveAffair

Whovian
Reaction score
How common was factory air (if at all) on 65 Barracudas? And if the car did not come with factory air, how difficult would it be to install? Just curious... :D Thanks!!!

As far as install rates, it would be about 15-20% at most.
It was a $325 option and also reguired 7.00x13 tires which were standard on a V8 but $12.85 on sixes.

Seeing how a 273 4bbl engine package with power brakes and HD suspension was only $155, it was really expensive to have A/C.

Somebody else will have to step in about install difficulty as I am not familiar with the early A-Body A/C set-ups.

It was similar to today's aftermarket A/C in that it was mounted below the dash. I was working for a Chrysler products dealer in 1964, and most A/C units in A-bodies were dealer installed.
You can install an aftermarket system that fits in the dash, but it's a lot of work and there isn't much room behind the dash because of the wiper motor and linkage. I installed a Vintage Air unit in my '64 and wrote an article about it...if you are interested.

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/vintage-air/Vintage_Air.htm

Factory Air (integrated with the heater) and not the underdash add-on AC wasn't that common. Can't say about the Plymouth side of things but from the info I have, out of approximately 324,000 V8 and slant 65 Darts, 21000 were equipped with factory AC - about 6% of total production. I'd say the same or a similar percentage for Valiants/Barracudas.

I'm adding factory Air to my 65 Dart convertible. Did a template of an AC-equipped donor firewall I had and transfered AC line holes, mounting holes, etc to mine and drilled or hole-sawed as needed. Using the template I cut out a section of the heater area on the donor and welded it in my firewall as the heater/AC blower motor is a lot larger than the just heater motor. The complete heater/AC unit (2 separate assemblies) fits perfect. The only thing you can see dash-wise is the AC vents, which do mount to the lower dash but are considerably thinner than the dealer/aftermarket - very similar to factory AC Darts in later years. The hardest thing to find for the Dart was the integrated heater/AC dash bezel - finally found one and shortly thereafter, found another one. I'm considering doing the same upgrade to my Dart wagon as I have 3 complete heater/AC assemblies. I expect on the 65 Valiant/Barracuda the heater/AC bezel will be hard to find as well (got 2 of them in case I decided to do my Barracuda too).

Interesting point - I parted out a late build (7/23/65) 65 Dart GT originally equipped with a 273/235 motor, 4 speed and original 8.75 with a 3.23 peg leg. Other than a radio, the only option it had was factory AC! Also saved all the factory AC stuff from a 66 slant 6 Dart I parted out.

Edit: I see GaryS mentioned the AC installed in 64s were the add-on type. That would be correct as the integrated heater/AC didn't arrive till 65.

-
Back