A/C Suction Line Sweating?

-

Ricks70Duster340

Child of the King
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The Vintage Air system on my car seems to be working Ok, blowing 42 degrees at the middle vent when it is in the 80's outside. When running, the suction line going to the compressor is sweating and is really cold. Is that normal?

The Vintage Air system on my car seems to be working Ok, blowing 42 degrees at the middle vent when it is in the 80's outside. When running, the suction line going to the compressor is sweating and is really cold. Is that normal?

Yes, it’s normal.

What I didn’t care for was the condensation drain dumping right onto my hedders.
I extended the drain tube with 3/8 vacuum tubing and ran it down next to the frame rail.

Any time the temp of the suction line is below the dewpoint temp of the ambient air, it's going to sweat (condense). In other words, this is perfectly normal 99% of the time.

Now if you ever see it frosting-up, that could be an issue.

Yes, it’s normal.

What I didn’t care for was the condensation drain dumping right onto my hedders.
I extended the drain tube with 3/8 vacuum tubing and ran it down next to the frame rail.
My drain tube actually touches one of the header tubes. When the engine is running, I will sometimes see a puff of smoke from that side of the engine when I have the hood open. When I went looking for the source I saw what was happening.

My drain tube actually touches one of the header tubes. When the engine is running, I will sometimes see a puff of smoke from that side of the engine when I have the hood open. When I went looking for the source I saw what was happening.

That’s exactly what I wanted to avoid, so I did something about it before it happened.
I saw somewhere the guy put a plastic 90 on the back of the unit and ran the drain farther over.
Unfortunately I already drilled the drain hole before that.
It works fine the way it is now.

That’s exactly what I wanted to avoid, so I did something about it before it happened.
I saw somewhere the guy put a plastic 90 on the back of the unit and ran the drain farther over.
Unfortunately I already drilled the drain hole before that.
It works fine the way it is now.
I got the car like that so will try to modify how the drain hose is routed. Gotta love aftermarket stuff, huh?!

-
Back