A center link design to fail?

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Well I was at my buddies shop and he showed me a center link he just removed from a 2016 2500 Chevy. Know is it me or is this insane? The center you see in the picture has a large hole in it where there was a rubber grommet that the pitman arm bolted to? Is this crazy. My buddy says oh yeah he replaced them all the time!

84872DD9-ACD8-49F3-9257-FE052BFF550A.jpeg

Chevy has always done STUPID things trying to make their trucks ride like cars. I remember well when the new for then 1988 models came out. We all laughed at how chinsey the independent front axles were on the 4x4 trucks. They should have left them a solid axle. Ford and Dodge, too. Now they make trucks for sissies that never see a dirt road.

Nothing beats those stupid "L" shaped ones used in some of the earlier Ford E Vans.

Nothing beats those stupid "L" shaped ones used in some of the earlier Ford E Vans.
Do you remember the rubber injected tie rod ends Ford used through the 80s?

Do you remember the rubber injected tie rod ends Ford used through the 80s?
I was not aware of those. I drove that old Ford over one winter, then the boss bought a really nice long wheelbase "church van" about a 77 Dodge window van, and I used that a couple years. Then they bought a brand spankin new 1T Chev van, 350.

I was not aware of those. I drove that old Ford over one winter, then the boss bought a really nice long wheelbase "church van" about a 77 Dodge window van, and I used that a couple years. Then they bought a brand spankin new 1T Chev van, 350.
Yeah they were pretty much the same ball and socket design, but instead of being pressed together with a bearing, they were injected with rubber. It was ridiculous.

how about those cheap chinese ball-joints and tierods, that as soon as you installed them, the vehicle would not self-center the steering ........... but a week later, they were rattling, and the following week they were nearly falling apart.
I had some choice words with my boss over that supplier, and thankfully I didn't have to quit. I was sure ready to threaten and follow thru.

I had to take a few of those out, cuz the trucks were nearly impossible to drive.

Well I was at my buddies shop and he showed me a center link he just removed from a 2016 2500 Chevy. Know is it me or is this insane? The center you see in the picture has a large hole in it where there was a rubber grommet that the pitman arm bolted to? Is this crazy. My buddy says oh yeah he replaced them all the time!

View attachment 1715841666

Looks like you answered your own question there, hoss.

-
Back