A few questions about my new gas tank

-

kiss

Reaction score
Bought a new tank Spectra CR11E (1972+) tank. Have a few questions.

First, see attached photos. See the copper vent line at the top? That line is hanging down an inch or 2 from the top of the tank. I don't really understand why. Is it supposed to be like that? I thought it was supposed to be all the way at the top of the tank so no gas would get into that line if the tank was brimmed full. Maybe the gas doesn't go up that high? Anyways should I leave it alone or attempt to reach into the tank with something via the sending unit port and bend it upwards more?

Second question, does anyone have a pic of the top of their tank? I'd like to see how the tank pad is supposed to fit on top of the tank

Third question, the tank is covered inside and out by a light layer of oil. I don't think it's cosmoline but it's some type of preservative. Should I try and clean it all off? Initially I was just going to leave it and clean off the parts that connect to other parts (filler grommet, sending unit) but then I realized this stuff doesn't smell that great. Should I wipe down the outside with rubbing alcohol or something? And as far as the inside, you can see it in 1 of the pics, should I just ignore it? When I fill it up the gas should eat that away and I doubt it would cause any problems.

Last question. I have new tank straps, but my original straps seem to be in great condition. Any risk re-using the original straps with the new tank? I'd like to re-sell these new ones if possible.

Thanks

IMG_20170526_114329.jpg

IMG_20170526_114356.jpg

IMG_20170526_114459.jpg

I just put a plug and hose clamp on mine but I may eventually use it as a return if/when I swap to electric pump.

THAT LINE IS YOUR VENT and used to RUN CLEAR UP FRONT to the carbon can system otherwise known as "evaporative emissions control"

If you plug it you don't have a vent. If you leave it it will leak. There was a thread on this the other day. NO Mopar came with a vented cap. They were "pressure vacuum" caps during this time period, and were intended only to release excessive pressure or vacuum

Go to MyMopar. You can download free service manuals for many years. Some of them there came from the guys on here. This evap stuff started, with changes nearly every year, in 70 in CA, and I guess all cars federally in 71. The early years had a vapor separator can up in the trunk. With only one line at the tank, you seem to have the later version.

Read the sections on fuel, fuel tanks, and emissions.

Here is a diagram from one year of the shop manual. The vapor sepator function in yours is in the tank, due to the single line, again: THAT IS THE VENT and it will LEAK if not taken "up high."

2r2q0ra.jpg

I used my old straps with no problem. As you described yours I think they would be fine. The only problem I see with the film on the tank is that it might collect dirt, don't believe I would be concerned with the inside. Wish I had taken pics of my old pad and new installation but it was pretty straight forward. Lay the pad on the tank as it looks like it should go and adjust for best fit. Sorry I am of no help on the tube as mine did not have that.

I used my old straps with no problem. As you described yours I think they would be fine. The only problem I see with the film on the tank is that it might collect dirt, don't believe I would be concerned with the inside. Wish I had taken pics of my old pad and new installation but it was pretty straight forward. Lay the pad on the tank as it looks like it should go and adjust for best fit. Sorry I am of no help on the tube as mine did not have that.
I used the same tank on my 68 fastback. I ran the line ur wondering about, up thru the floor of my trunk, made a full circle curly cue, and back down thru the floor. (like a roll over vent) I still used the original filler tube vent also. I have a recirculating fuel system w/ the return coming back in to the orig. 3/8" pick up tube, dual outlets on back of the tank. vents well.

-
Back