A few questions about refinishing a dash

-

plugger340

Reaction score
  • The previous owner was a heavy smoker and the stains are hard to remove from the unpainted surfaces. I’ve tried alcohol; water based cleaner; and paint thinner - they all work but it’s a very slow process. Any recommendations for a fast working cleaner? I haven’t tried a solvent based wax, grease, and silicone remover
  • What is the best method to repair the heat damage?
  • What is the best glue to repair the stress cracks?

IMG_2422.jpeg

IMG_2423.jpeg

IMG_2424.jpeg

IMG_2425.jpeg

IMG_2426.jpeg

As for the stains, you could try a small spot working olive oil in. I know this sounds crazy, but my wife told me about this to get roofing tar off of my hands. (after gas, turpentine and mineral spirits failed). Never tried it on nicotine.......Let us know. Good luck......Cigs are just f'n gross.

When I was redoing my 69 cuda plastic grills I used a JB weld epoxy. Worked great, sandable.
Side note, in your last pic, chk the metal tab that holds lens in. Looks like plastic is missing that holds it firm.

Castrol Super Clean is tough and strong, wear gloves.

As for the stains, you could try a small spot working olive oil in. I know this sounds crazy, but my wife told me about this to get roofing tar off of my hands. (after gas, turpentine and mineral spirits failed). Never tried it on nicotine.......Let us know. Good luck......Cigs are just f'n gross.
Sounds bizarre but I’ll try it on a small area!

When I was redoing my 69 cuda plastic grills I used a JB weld epoxy. Worked great, sandable.
Side note, in your last pic, chk the metal tab that holds lens in. Looks like plastic is missing that holds it firm.
Tnxs. I was going to use JB Weld to refasten it once I fix all the other problems

I believe the plastic is polystyrene. I would try testors plastic model cement on the cracks. Be careful where you get it cause it actually melts the plastic. Any kind of plastic body filler for the marred surfaces, but sand the area with 60-80 grit sandpaper so the filler has something to stick to and grip. Again testers filler. You can shape the filler by white glueing sand paper to a paint stir stick. Sticks can be cut to any size or shape to suit/reach specific areas. Don’t forget to prime with a high fill primer before you paint.

I like JB Weld. I found recently Devcon Epoxy works awesome as well. It's one of my favorites now. The dark gray works great. They have one that dries cream color as well.
Devcon Plastic Steel Epoxy, 25ml

I've heard/read good things about Devcon. We have limited selection up here, and if its avail its pricey.
JB was like $15 and worked perfect.
I like JB Weld. I found recently Devcon Epoxy works awesome as well. It's one of my favorites now. The dark gray works great. They have one that dries cream color as well.
Devcon Plastic Steel Epoxy, 25ml

Easy Off oven cleaner strips the dash bare . Spray it let it sit and rinse with water. I also use it to strip old model cars to get the paint off. I put them in a container and let them soak. Super clean also works but oven cleaner strips the paint and old Chrome plating.

JB weld sells different types of 2 part epoxy for plastic. I use the tan/yellow for build up and clear for repairs. Auto Zone has them all.

-
Back