A few questions for the fabricators out there...

-

dusted72

Thanks Hemiroid!!!!
Reaction score
Hey you guys that fab alot of parts. Have you ever thought about making big brake kits? I am in the middle of develpoing one for my truck utilizing 4 piston Brembos from an OEM application to help cut cost some. I am also using some off the shelf rotors also from an OEM application. So has anybody ever thought about doing this? I figure not including time I can save a few hundred on the entire upgrade and have bigger and better brakes. If anybody is interested in the plan so far I will share the plan I have so far for my truck build. So what are yall's thoughts? Good, bad, or indifferent.

Nobody has ever thought of building their own big brake setup? Really? Nobody? With all of the Mustang rotors out there and a plethera(sp) of calipers available.

An A-body and your truck are 2 totally different animals. a couple have put rear disc brakes from Cherokees on the 8.25 and 8.75 rear just to find they'll have to buy wheels.
Problems with clearances really pile up at the front. Wheels that clear the huge calipers and rotors will likely hit the sway bar, upper arms, etc... Not to mention what you'll use for a spindle. Good luck though.

Just wandering if anybody has ever thought of this. There have to be rotors and calipers that will clear a 15-16 rim. I know my stock calipers are 11.61 inches but they are a different animal all together. What I am basically after are there any pointers for someone that is trying to do this. I have already found rotors and a way to mount them that won't self-destruct and kill me and anybody near me. Along with the rotors I have found a caliper that will work within the limits of the rotors I want to use. What I am down to is making the mounting brackets for calipers, brake lines, and having some machine work down to make my hubs. If you have any input I will write out all the info I have and then you can critique what I have so far.

I think you might get more responses on a truck forum, probly even find someone that has already done what your trying to do.

I am a member of several truck forums the problen is that they either cater to the 3rd and newer Rams or Dakotas. And they are all completely different then the 2nd gen. It is more of a technical question then vehicle specific question.

the question is very wide open with makes .... models .... years .....

rear ends ... front axles, ..... splines.... bolt patterns ...

what exactly are you attempting to do?

i do rear brakes on the 8 3/4 using ford mustang parts ..... with virtually no changes to the stock setup.

I would look at Scarebird.com
They make the brackets, and provide you a parts list of what parts you need to complete it.

Much of this area is custom by nature. Someone like yourself, custom building to match their budget and application.

I would think one of the better OEM applications would be GM F bodies (Camaro and Firebird), as they had 4 wheel discs, and pretty decent OEM stuff, lightweight, too.

The only thing that spook me is the is the stress that braking parts are under. If custom building, I hope the welds are A+ strong.

I guess I should rephrase the question and make it not so generalized. With doing brake swaps and mix and match parts what issues have you run into. One of the ones I am thinking may be an issue will be figuring out the master cylinder bore size. I know the calipers I want to use will require more fluid to provide pressure since my OE calipers are 1 piston and the new planned ones are 4 piston. I am in the process of getting the piston bore sizes so I can calculate the required fluid and MC bore size. I have learned alot over the past few days with doing the research required for this swap. I think once I get this one figured out better and get it finalized and installed I will try to do the rears also. But those should be really easy to mount.

I would look at Scarebird.com
They make the brackets, and provide you a parts list of what parts you need to complete it.

Much of this area is custom by nature. Someone like yourself, custom building to match their budget and application.

I would think one of the better OEM applications would be GM F bodies (Camaro and Firebird), as they had 4 wheel discs, and pretty decent OEM stuff, lightweight, too.

The only thing that spook me is the is the stress that braking parts are under. If custom building, I hope the welds are A+ strong.

If I plan everything correctly I will not have any welds. I plan to use 99-05 Porsche Carrera front calipers since they are radial mounted Brembo 4 piston calipers. What I am going to do is have my factory rotor/hub machined and have the disc portion cut off so that a 07 Ram front rotor will slip over it effectively making a hub like the 07 Ram uses. This will allow me to go from a 11.61 stock rotor to a 13.22 07 stock rotor. The 07 Ram and Carrera stock rotors are almost identical in deminsions. I have found bolt on caliper mounts for the Brembos from a Nascar application so all I have to make is a flat mounting surface in which to bolt them.

-
Back