A few questions for the pro engine builders out there...

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
How important is it to you to be 'in touch' with your customers regarding their build, from the machining to the recommendation of parts and component choices? Do you leave it up to the customer to decide what he or she wants, or try to steer them in the direction you know will work best for them based on your experience? Do you stay in contact with them, or wait for them to contact you?
Just curious.

I'd say it depends on the customer. If someone comes in the door and they seem curious and willing to learn and have the money to buy parts then sure, give them some info and suggest an approach. But some customers already know everything and other customers can't afford to buy any parts so you just have to find a path that works.

How important is it to you to be 'in touch' with your customers regarding their build, from the machining to the recommendation of parts and component choices? Do you leave it up to the customer to decide what he or she wants, or try to steer them in the direction you know will work best for them based on your experience? Do you stay in contact with them, or wait for them to contact you?
Just curious.
Very important! I always ask I the customer what their expectations and budgets are, and then I ask I what their vehicle combination is. At that point, I start steering them in the direction my knowledge and experience tells me they need to go. When that motor goes out the door, it has my name all over it, so I'm not willing to build a motor that doesn't have the right combination, because the customer insists on certain parts. At that point, they should consider building the engine themselves, because they aren't getting what they are paying me for, a solid professionally built engine.

For example, a customer wants a street engine that is fun to drive, runs on pump gas, fits under a stock hood, makes 600hp, and sounds really nasty, in a 3800# street car with 3.91 gears and a 2800 converter. Well, "sounds really nasty" means a cam that is way to big for the rest of the combination, and 600hp with a manifold low enough to fit under a stock hood is a bit challenging, especially while trying to keep the power within the rpm range of the rest of the combination. So, what do you do? You spend 2 hours explaining what needs to be done to reach MOST of his expectations. This was an actual customer, and he got his 600hp and then some. What he didn't get was a nasty sounding motor that needed a bunch of rpm to make power, while sacrificing street manners with his combination. He still sends me messages saying how pleased he is with the performance. If I had built that motor exactly the way he thought he wanted it, he would have been disappointed, and my reputation would have been damaged.

When it comes to machining, if they are building the motor, you can't possibly know what they are doing, so I give them what they ask for. If I don't, the liability is on me.
I may ask questions if something doesn't sound right to help them avoid a mistake, but they are ultimately responsible for the build.

I usually only call the customer if there is some issue, like backordered parts delaying the build, or if they need to send more money. Otherwise, more time on the phone, is less time getting their motor built.

B3RE is 100% correct, its your butt on the line when it leaves the door so if its not right then who gets blamed....the shop owner, not the customer who wants 26MPG 600HP and has to pass CA emissions but I want a really lumpy idle...probably 50% of customers have unrealistic expectations of real world engines...pretty hard to have a mild street build that run 9.50 in the quarter and gets good MPG as a daily driver. Everytime I get a "mild street build" but they want that Top Fuel Funny Car idle sound, I tell them to build a mild street build and get an MP3 of Funny Car idling and play it really loud on their stereo...if we built what the customer wants, we would be out of biz in a month from bad internet/press. I restored 3 67-69 barracudas for a guy that always grumbled about "wish it had more power" but didnt want to step up to the price of more power...on the 4th build, he said "I want this thing to be FAST, make it fast!!!. So we built a pretty nasty 5.9 that turned out about 480HP and 500 TQ bolted to Michelin Pilot 245/60's and he backed it up a curb at 70....but he finally stopped bitching about faster, more power etc. all it cost him was 2 new rims, new TTI's and a rebuilt 727:steering:

Just curious.

Communication before, during, and after is critical. There are somethings I will not flex on, but most things are up for discussion and debate. Experience is part of it, but being told "how it's gonna be" doesn;t work for most people. A solid understanding by both parties is what you want. I like to supply a parts list with my quote so they have something to work with when we're talking. As was said - ultimately the builder's name is on it.

If I had built that motor exactly the way he thought he wanted it, he would have been disappointed, and my reputation would have been damaged.

That's it!

Its hard for anyone to really know what they want until they have tried it. If you get something that is a pig to drive under 3,000rpm, can't idle below 1500 and has nothing to its name other than a wicked idle, 'X00 hp' boast factor and a 20k pricetag... then you're probably going to be very unhappy if you're driving the thing regularly and expect it to behave like a factory car.

I'm not a pro anything, but have advised a lot of people on builds/combos, especially my Dad, everything from Toyota 3SGE 2.0L motors right up to the 408ci stroked Cleveland in his F350 - its not any one part that is critical, its the combination, and a lot of people forget that and can't see the forest for the trees... they forget the overall picture and narrow down what they want to 'crazy idle!' and 'X00hp!' because in their minds that is something that is cool.

I reckon the coolest things around (worth paying for even) are the sleepers of the engine world; those nicely, tightly build things that don't make a big fuss, breathe through well-quietened pipes and get driven daily in a beat-up old car or truck... but if you put your foot down in them they SCOOT!

- boingk

If you are going with a big name to have a racing motor built and you've told them where you want to be with ET, car weight, converter, any power adders, etc. You are probably going to be left out of the loop until it is shipped to you. Big name race engine builders with a winning reputation have big egos and know what they are doing. I was really upset at the lack of communication on my build, but the results were great!
Oh, BTW, I have no idea what the cam specs are for my motor! The builder won't tell me and Comp says it's a custom grind for that builder.

Just curious.

The best thing you can do is be honest and thoughtful about what you want long term. Street car, Highway Cruiser, Drag Car, Road Racer, they are all different. It all goes into part selection and the combination to optimize each.

it is even harder when you know what you want and need. yet the builder wants to give you less than steller parts. cant do that in a race engine. had one wanting to run a stock pressure/volume oil pump in my 15:1 bbchevy. told him to gtfo with that crap.
also been told one couldnt run 70-80psi idle oil in a big chevy. seems fine to me right now.

big thing i believe is knowing who to trust to point you in the correct direction. some just dont have the mentality or have skimmed themselves so long on cheaper parts cuz of cheap customers. they forget those of us who have been there done that experience.

When I was building engines for people, I always ended up building what THEY wanted. I advised them of how I thought the combo would run and made recommendations, but if they didn't want to follow it, they got exactly what they asked for.

When I was building engines for people, I always ended up building what THEY wanted. I advised them of how I thought the combo would run and made recommendations, but if they didn't want to follow it, they got exactly what they asked for.
Isn't it amazing,how you get educated that way (as dealing with people,that way...)?

-
Back