A few questions regarding fourth gen dodge darts

-
Still have to disagree. Yes you have to be smog compliant, however hellion turbo systems makes a killer turbo kit for the GTs 4.6 3 valve V8. Conservative boost on a stocker bumps it to 450 hp and is CARB EO. Legal for use in Kalifornia, so its also legal in other states. They also built up a ford 4.6 3V with a forged bottom end, and forged dished pistons for higher boost. It made 661 hp at 25 psi at the rear wheels, and smogged clean. Got a friend i work with who has an 08 GT similar to mine. He put a kenne bell screw type blower on it, and other go fast mods this thing is an animal, and passes inspection every year.

Im happy with mine as is, the computer tune its got, the flowmasters, and cold air intake. Dont plan on modifying it much more except maybe a set of bbk headers, and a set of cams.
I'll take your word for it bud. Back when I was into imports it was hard to make one street legal and modded. I guess I'm going off of previous knowledge. I've been pulled by driving my old race integra :(

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a duster/dart sport yet, they have way more head room. Best advice I can give is sit in them both, see what you can see.

Welcome to the world of real cars, you've grown up. :D

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a duster/dart sport yet, they have way more head room. Best advice I can give is sit in them both, see what you can see.

Welcome to the world of real cars, you've grown up. :D

Haha I have a few friends with 1000+ supra's and evo's so real cars are a matter of preference. I just need a murican' car because I outgrew imports

I'll take your word for it bud. Back when I was into imports it was hard to make one street legal and modded. I guess I'm going off of previous knowledge. I've been pulled by driving my old race integra :(

V8s double the connecting rods and cylinders creating power, and torque. This is why these numbers are possible. One guy in car craft magazine running a 502 big block 70 chevelle with twin turbos.and massive intercooler. He turns the boost down for the street and makes a street driveable 1,000 hp. When he turns up the boost the car is making 1,700 on the track.

He runs dished pistons and an 8 to 1 static compression which makes the engine evey docile under normal driving until you nail it and the turbos spool up. You can boost a 4 banger and make V8 power, but then you can boost a V8 and make even more power.

some crazy **** isnt it.

V8s double the connecting rods and cylinders creating power, and torque. This is why these numbers are possible. One guy in car craft magazine running a 502 big block 70 chevelle with twin turbos.and massive intercooler. He turns the boost down for the street and makes a street driveable 1,000 hp. When he turns up the boost the car is making 1,700 on the track.

He runs dished pistons and an 8 to 1 static compression which makes the engine evey docile under normal driving until you nail it and the turbos spool up. You can boost a 4 banger and make V8 power, but then you can boost a V8 and make even more power.

some crazy **** isnt it.
Si señor. All boost and no play

Hey guys! I'm new to the American car scene, came from imports, an I have a few questions. I am 6'7 (long torso) and I'm wondering if I will need to modify the seats to fit? Also how would I make it handle great on the track? I only have 6k for the mods. Low budget for beginning

If your wanting to do it as a road race type car check out the wares by firm feel, they got good stuff, and ideas for you to make it handle.

Check out the green brick. These guys souped up a valiant 2 door post coupe into a road race machine. The roof line sits up a little taller than the hardtop coupes, and uses a sedan windshield. This body style isnt as desirable as a hardtop coupe but may gain you some headroom. The green brick valiant can and does imbarass some pretty fancy machinery on the race track. This is what i love, modify these cars for better performance, braking, and handling, then go out and spank some foreign car A$$.

I love the idea of a sleeper. Always did. A buddy of mine had a 383 chevy in a 71 vega wagon. We had so much fun messing with "much faster" cars with it LOL

i can agree ....my 68 dart is my daily driver ....actually its my only transportation ...so i can agree
I'll jump on the DD bandwagon. My Dart has served DD service since dad bought it in '03. And make no mistake its a family car with petrified bubble gum stuck to the seatbelts and a some nice etch art my niece did on the passenger quarter glass with a pebble from the driveway.

I thought I was gonna kill her.

Oh yeah and gallons of coffee, rootbeer and dr. pepper has been spilled in the car over the years between me and dad. Dads accountable for the rootbeer btw.

Oh yeah, I forgot the main point of my last post. My Dart is my daily driver. I would personally love something with a 4 banger and a stick for a DD like a '99 Geo Prizim like the one my sis had.

It wouldnt last,I've had the Dart off the road several times and I get to missing it after about a month. That car is a highway star around here.

Oh yeah, I forgot the main point of my last post. My Dart is my daily driver. I would personally love something with a 4 banger and a stick for a DD like a '99 Geo Prizim like the one my sis had.

It wouldnt last,I've had the Dart off the road several times and I get to missing it after about a month. That car is a highway star around here.

what happened to the grille?

Well about a year after dad bought the car, my brother got his 84 Chevy Silverdao stuck in a mud hole and dad thought he'd use the Dart to pull it out.

Thats how the bumper got screwed up and bent.

Well in 2010 during snowmaghedon dad got the car stuck in the snow at the bottom of the driveway. So I went down the next day to dig it out and my neighbors came along and offered to pull it with their tractor. I said WTH the bumpers already screwed up so I'll wrap the chain around the bumper. It was great untill we got to the bend in the driveway and the chain shifted and busted the grill.

Oh the places I aquired my dumbassery from.....

I've been on and off with fiberglass work on the grill for two years now. I usually only get to work on it for a a day out of maybe every two months. Some day I'll get it done and do something cool with paint but its not on my priority list right now.

Which has a better engine duster or dart? I'm not looking for a swap because my schedule won't allow it

Which has a better engine duster or dart? I'm not looking for a swap because my schedule won't allow it

Both dusters n darts came with slant sixes, and 318 V8s. They also came with 340, and 360 V8s depending on the package that was ordered. 340, and 360 cars are fairly rare as they were hi performance models.

The 318 V8 cars are more common, as they were a basic V8 and not a performance engine. However a 318 can be made to perform. It is basically a detuned, and smaller cubic inch version of a 340 and 360. So stuff like cams, headers, intake manifolds, cylinder heads all swap. Im sure more stuff interchanges, but thats a quick list off the top of my head

The slant 6 cars are the most common, as most people bought these car as basic transportation, and in this case for them a six with automatic transmission, and good mileage was what they were after.

Weather its a dodge or a plymouth, they both used the same six and V8s, so its just a matter of finding what body style you like best..

The slant 6 is a great good mileage engine, and it wears like iron. You cant kill one of these things, however performance wise its a total dog. The amount of cash you have to put in one to make it run like a V8, you could put into a V8 and have even more power. Im sure all the 6 popper guys would disagree. I have had slants in the past. Great engine, last forever, i usually pulled em, and did V8 swaps tho.

If you ultimately want the car to have a V8 id recommend you buy one from the get go. Swapping a six out can be a pain.

Good luck with your search.

Both dusters n darts came with slant sixes, and 318 V8s. They also came with 340, and 360 V8s depending on the package that was ordered. 340, and 360 cars are fairly rare as they were hi performance models.

The 318 V8 cars are more common, as they were a basic V8 and not a performance engine. However a 318 can be made to perform. It is basically a detuned, and smaller cubic inch version of a 340 and 360. So stuff like cams, headers, intake manifolds, cylinder heads all swap. Im sure more stuff interchanges, but thats a quick list off the top of my head

The slant 6 cars are the most common, as most people bought these car as basic transportation, and in this case for them a six with automatic transmission, and good mileage was what they were after.

Weather its a dodge or a plymouth, they both used the same six and V8s, so its just a matter of finding what body style you like best..

The slant 6 is a great good mileage engine, and it wears like iron. You cant kill one of these things, however performance wise its a total dog. The amount of cash you have to put in one to make it run like a V8, you could put into a V8 and have even more power. Im sure all the 6 popper guys would disagree. I have had slants in the past. Great engine, last forever, i usually pulled em, and did V8 swaps tho.

If you ultimately want the car to have a V8 id recommend you buy one from the get go. Swapping a six out can be a pain.

In that case a dart looks better. I saw one yesterday and it wasn't as big as I thought it would be. It looked slightly bigger than a sedan now a days and that's about it. Perfect for parrelel parking

I have to agree with everything said here, especially to the part that's in bold. Alot of slant enthusiasts will jump in and call BS saying the cost averages out blazee blazee blah.... When you can go get a 4 barrel intake for a V8 to the tune of lets just say $200 and one for a slant costs $400-600? Right....... Slants are a b#$ch to build because they are a whole different animal to a V8 and don't have discplacement to hide poor parts selection.

Example, you can say I want my slant to have a 390 four barrel with a Clifford intake and aussie speed headers. The intake is gonna make peak power way before those headers because IF I'M not mistaken the Clifford intake has runners close to stock size which doesn't give much flow volume. Aussie speed header's have 5/8" primary tubes which are huge and will hit peak flow alot later in the power band than that intake. So lets say you fix the intake issue, port it or replace for an Offy or an Aussiespeed piece. Now you need a carburetor in the neighborhood of 500-600CFM because the 390 won't cut it at the higher RPM the intake and headers work at. Also too, don't get me started on the headwork that would need to be done to make this expample even close to relevant.

Slants are poor breathers and peak power is usually early in the 3,000-4,500 rpm window depending upon the build. If I'm not mistaken you're application racing-wise calls for high rpm and a broad power curve. You're slant even if built well would get it's *** wiped. This is in N/A form of course.

All that said, why am I a slanter? Cause I go to shows and get sick of seeing V8's. Also, it's pretty fun to put shame to V8's when lacking around about 100+CID on them.

EDIT, and BTW dartling, my "trial and error" cost me and the world an original grill that was very close to mint condition. Grills are extremely hard to find and VERY expensive. I can fix it with fiberglass, but it will never be original now. Which is why I'm going to do something interesting paint-wise when I finish.

theres an article online where popular hot rodding rebuilt a 318 bottom end stock, with flat top pistons, then used a hot cam, late model magnum truck heads, a 4 barrel intake and carb. i know theres more to it than that, im abbreviating this, the article is online if anybody wants to look it up. the end result was a 9.8 to 1 compression 318 that could be duplicated in your home garage for about $3,000 that made a naturally aspirated 402 HP at 6,200 RPM on pump gas.

now imagine if you used a stroker setup bottom end on that same 318 and made it into a 390, or build up a stroker 360 thats a 408 with the same cam and top end with flat tops. what kind of HP could you get? is a rev happy 500 possible?

a typical 70 to 72 dart swinger 2 door weighs around 2,700 to 2,800 pounds depending on weather its a slant or V8. the V8 car being 100 pounds more. this is pretty light concidering the new muscle cars are pretty heavy. my 07 stang GT weighs in at about 3,300 pounds and is about 330 HP. of course you can build the V8 with lots of fancy aluminum parts and pare that weight back to 2,700. i dont think the 100 pounds is going to make that much difference.

67 to 76 the frames on these cars are all basically the same. there were 2 wheel bases 108" and 110". the 110" was used exclusively on the dodges except for the plymouth duster which i believe was the same length as the dodge demon. the rest of the plymouths other than the duster from what i know were all 108" including my 67 cuda. other than the length differences in the wheelbase all the suspensions mount the same.

there were upgrades made to various parts of these cars from 67 to 76. from what i have been told in the brake areas the 73 year model was somewhat of a bastard child. offering 9" drum brakes as an option, when in 73 i believe they made power discs standard equipment along with the more desirable large bolt pattern which mopar shares with ford. (FUN FACT mustang bullitt 17" wheels will fit the A bodys with the large bolt pattern)

most guys with the V8s it seems, myself included like the 73 up spool type engine mount K frame which will bolt in all the way back to 67, and has a better motor mount design.

most guys except for the resto crowd go with the large bolt pattern disc brakes from 73 to 76. parts are more plentiful and cheaper compared to the small bolt pattern Kelsey hayes 4 piston brakes mopar offered thru 1972. plus theres more wheel styles available for the large bolt pattern. of course you will need everything from the spindle out on a 73 to 76 A body for the disc swap including the large ball joint upper A arms. the lower A arms and lower ball joint are the same from 67 to 76 so you can reuse these.

i hope your writing a lot of this stuff down Dartling. lots of info here for a newbie such as yourself. including interchangability of parts thru the years.

keep the questions coming, i will try to answer then to the best of my ability.

matt

Matt I think it looks awesome without a grille. Makes it look like a kaido racer. I think an external oil cooler and a hood extension would look cool

Matt I think it looks awesome without a grille. Makes it look like a kaido racer. I think an external oil cooler and a hood extension would look cool
I think it looks pretty sweet without it ever since I put the new springs on it. When I had my old saggy springs on the car if just looked like it was missing a grill. Now at least it looks like the grill was removed.

External oil coolers are unessacary for a stock slant that's street driven(why can't I spell that word today?) and probably would do more harm then good on my car. Can you say, sheered off oil pump drive gear?

No, no hood extension (whatever that is) or kaido racer (whatever that is) someday the car will look relatively stock.

Go-wing spoiler, dual hood scoops and side exit exhaust T/A style. Camoro synergy green. That's about all the exterior mods my car will ever see.

I think it looks pretty sweet without it ever since I put the new springs on it. When I had my old saggy springs on the car if just looked like it was missing a grill. Now at least it looks like the grill was removed.

External oil coolers are unessacary for a stock slant that's street driven(why can't I spell that word today?) and probably would do more harm then good on my car. Can you say, sheered off oil pump drive gear?

No, no hood extension (whatever that is) or kaido racer (whatever that is) someday the car will look relatively stock.

Go-wing spoiler, dual hood scoops and side exit exhaust T/A style. Camoro synergy green. That's about all the exterior mods my car will ever see.

/6matt that sounds like you have a good sounding idea for your swinger. I like the.new camaro metallic blue for my cuda, or maybe petty blue.

Nagoya-Exciting-Showdown-14-150.jpg
http://cdn.speedhunters.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Nagoya-Exciting-Showdown-14-127.jpg these are kaido. If they irritate you they win

-
Back