A few questions regarding fourth gen dodge darts

-
Just a thought....the 3rd gen hemi's are getting more and more available and will bolt up to a small block trans.....However, if you want cheap HP I would just go with a 360 warmed over. Believe me, you can get sideways in a hurry with a well built 360 and 360 (5.9) magnums are everywhere in the boneyard...good luck!

I agree, plus the magnums also have the pre magnum small block mounting ears on the side of the block. So if you have a V8 k frame or conversion mounts you can put one right in.

Im going to magnum head an early 318 because its what i have, and i love a challenge, plus i lovethe parts mix n match

Just a thought....the 3rd gen hemi's are getting more and more available and will bolt up to a small block trans.....However, if you want cheap HP I would just go with a 360 warmed over. Believe me, you can get sideways in a hurry with a well built 360 and 360 (5.9) magnums are everywhere in the boneyard...good luck!

I've thought about the hemi's. However I haven't seen any magnums at the yards

I've thought about the hemi's. However I haven't seen any magnums at the yards

Dartling the magnums we are talking about are not in the magnum car. These are the last generationof the old 318/360 V8 before the new hemi came out.

You can identify one by the regular distributer at the back of the engine, and have 10 bolts holding the valve covers on. Plus they have an EFI manifold. You will find these in dakotas, half ton pickups, dodge durangos and vans from i think 1992 up thru at least 1998, not sure how many years after that, as well as the rounded jeep grand cherokees with V8 option thru at least 1998. These engines are pretty readily available in any wrecking yard since they were in a lot of vehicles

there will be a pair of fender badges saying V8 Magnum on the truck or van with this engine unless somebody removed em already LOL

My local boneyard has an engine pile with all kinds of engines piled in it, these r pulled out of junkers they r getting ready to shread. I will prob pull a set of magnum valve covers, head bolts, and valve train out of one of em, since im going to go with engine quest magnum heads anyways.

If your looking for a hemi, they were also found in the chrysler 300 from 2004 up, magnum wagon, charger, challenger, as well as pickups, jeeps and dodge durango/ chrysler aspen twins. They started with 2500 series pickups with the hemi then expanded it to car lines. These are still expensive, and parts for them are costly, plus i dont think anybody makes bolt in swap kits for them into A bodys yet, however theres companies making manifolds for carbs, and one company makes a timing case cover out of aluminum that houses a regular distributer so you can eliminate the computer and coil on plug ignitions. This is called a chip killer.

The 360 magnum V8 out of a pre hemi truck or van is cheaper, and has the old style pre magnum motor mount ears cast into the block and pre drilled, you will need these to mount your motor mounts making it a bolt in installation.

The hemi you will have to fabricate everything you need to install it in an A body.
Hope this helps
Matt

Dartling the magnums we are talking about are not in the magnum car. These are the last generationof the old 318/360 V8 before the new hemi came out.

You can identify one by the regular distributer at the back of the engine, and have 10 bolts holding the valve covers on. Plus they have an EFI manifold. You will find these in dakotas, half ton pickups, dodge durangos and vans from i think 1992 up thru at least 1998, not sure how many years after that, as well as the rounded jeep grand cherokees with V8 option thru at least 1998. These engines are pretty readily available in any wrecking yard since they were in a lot of vehicles

there will be a pair of fender badges saying V8 Magnum on the truck or van with this engine unless somebody removed em already LOL

My local boneyard has an engine pile with all kinds of engines piled in it, these r pulled out of junkers they r getting ready to shread. I will prob pull a set of magnum valve covers, head bolts, and valve train out of one of em, since im going to go with engine quest magnum heads anyways.

Hope this helps
Matt
I was confuesed by magnum. This really clears it up. I think I have seen a few. I hope I still don't have to do smog with a newer engine

I was confuesed by magnum. This really clears it up. I think I have seen a few. I hope I still don't have to do smog with a newer engine

How it usually works is the vehicle is smog checked for the year of the vehicle not the year of the engine in the vehicle. Most states have a rolling 30 year cutoff point for checking for smog. Reason being is such vehicles are collector / special interest cars and dont get driven much, and are usually in a good state of tune to bother with smogging them.

My dad had an initial inspection on his 79 dodge lil red express truck after we rebuilt it, this was in new Jersey, after that since he has QQ historic plates on it, he renews registration, and keeps insurance up on it, no inspection since.

Check your states laws regarding classic cars, smog checks etc.

How it usually works is the vehicle is smog checked for the year of the vehicle not the year of the engine in the vehicle. Most states have a rolling 30 year cutoff point for checking for smog. Reason being is such vehicles are collector / special interest cars and dont get driven much, and are usually in a good state of tune to bother with smogging them.

My dad had an initial inspection on his 79 dodge lil red express truck after we rebuilt it, this was in new Jersey, after that since he has QQ historic plates on it, he renews registration, and keeps insurance up on it, no inspection since.

Check your states laws regarding classic cars, smog checks etc.

Yeah I plan to drive it everyday so the histotic car won't work

Yeah I plan to drive it everyday so the histotic car won't work

Lots of states dont bother once they hit 30 years to smog em, just because they assume its A garaged, B well kept, C a collector car. Doesnt matter if u drive it every day

New jersey puts no mileage restrictions on my dads 79 express. They just dont bother with it.

Lots of states dont bother once they hit 30 years to smog em, just because they assume its A garaged, B well kept, C a collector car. Doesnt matter if u drive it every day

New jersey puts no mileage restrictions on my dads 79 express. They just dont bother with it.

Haha let the noise complaints roll in then :angryfir:

lol a slant intake 400-600 bucks... if your an idiot, you can get a clifford (bigger port and plenum than stock offy) for under 200 used, headers can get expensive, about 4-500 but have got them for 200 used.
I never mentioned buying smart. I got a two barrel intake in my bedroom I bought from a member several years ago, cost me $50.

BTW, isn't a pair of new Hooker Supercomps running about $700ish these days? You know how some car guys are, everything on their motor has to be brand *** spanking new and that costs money in the slant world.

And Dartling: I've seen those Bozo cars before, I thought they were photoshopped to be a joke and had NO CLUE they were real.

I think he is speaking of dartling trolling his neighbors with loud muscle car sounds???

No more want after being hit hard. Body took way too much of that impact. Vw is next

This might be the strangest thread I've ever read. lol.
Bozo cars, what can you say about that. Wow, I do believe I've been.... well..somethin ugh.......you know?

-
Back