A few questions?

-

Stucker152

Reaction score
My 75 swinger was running like crap so i pulled the stock carb and cleaned the crap out of it with carb cleaner but after cleaning i decided not to put it back on. i want to buy another carb but unsure what size and what brand. i was looking at the edelbrock performer intake manifold so i figured i would go with the same carb. around a 600-700cfm size. not sure if my car is electric or manual choke? also not sure if i need the egr? or where the egr is located? my stock 318 only has 14k original miles and im not looking to build a huge motor just get a lil pep out of it. please help my mopar knowledge is very limited.

You don't want EGR unless you need to pass emissions---you don't in MT, do ya?

The electric choke on an aftermarket carb like a Holley or Edelbrock does not work the same as your stocker. The stock well type choke (your 2 bbl?) is "helped" with an electric heater. The Holley/ Edelbrock electric chokes are more "fully electric."

On something leaning towards performance, I don't like auto chokes---I'd go manual, and you may not need one at all if you don't drive much in cold wx.

A holley 600 is a decent match to both the displacement and the intake youre eyeballing. Ditch the egr.

JMHO. I would get something a little better than a standard Edelbrock performer. At least then, you can upgrade later on with other bolt ons. Take a look at the Weiand Action Plus. Much better runner configuration.

Ok so no egr. How do I go about getting rid of that and where is it located. What size carb should I get. I don't plan on racing to the strip every weekend but I want some giddy up in my step. Why weiand or edelbrock? And since I'm doing some top end work what part should be next? I have some new mufflers in my trunk and I bought some shorty headers but sent them back cause I couldn't get them to fit. Now I wanna get long tubes but I want some that will fit nicely since the steering box is in the way. Ideas?

Dougs or TTIs for headers. I like Edelbrock products because they make good products for a decent price. Course there better products available...

I concur with RustyRatRod, ditch the performer!! best to upgrade now, little more cost with less aggrevation in the future. Look at Quick Fuel Carbs, no egr, 600 manual choke. This is a disease, you will always want more power..

http://www.summitracing.com

Also, X2 on the Weiand manifold, but unless you are running a spread bore carb (Carter ThermoQuad or a big holley), most carbs run square bore and you could use the Weiand Stealth.

Weiand Stealth and Weiand Action Plus have the same pattern, which is nearly identical to the old Edelbrock LD4B which was designed through Chrysler by Edelbrock. That layout is what you want, but the Stealth has a square bore pattern, wheras the Action Plus has both square and spread bore patterns on the top.

intake%20comparison.jpg

The Left is Edelbrock, Right is Weiand. The Action Plus has the spread carb pattern, the Stealth is like the Edelbrock on the left.

Even with needing an emissions test, needing to keep EGR is negligable.I had my '73 on std. plates and always had it blocked off for years. My brother isn't running it on his '88 Toyota. Most clinics won't bother, because they foul up so quickly and stop working anyway.

Your car is a '75, so I don't know if your state laws allow classic plates and/ or emissions exemption, but if not, it will need a catalytic converter in place to pass. It should have one on it.

Ditch the EGR and any other emissions hoses, charcoal canister and keep the PCV.

You will need throttle linkages and make sure that you connect and adjust your kickdown properly. Easiest way is to ditch the linkage and buy a LaKar kickdown cable and follow it's install instructions.

I don't know if TTI works with power steering, but shop around and see.

The reason you want the Weiand is because it has the best pattern for the application and is still available, unlike the Edelbrock LD4B. EGR is the valve on the right side (car's right) of the carb, on the intake. You will lose that when you replace it with a 4bbl intake.

The Edelbrock Performer is ok, but it's old tech. This is because it has an intermediate runner size that works ok with the 273/ 318 size and the larger 340/360 size, so there will be a step in the induction, where the intake meets the cylinder head, which is not good for flow/ performance. The Weiand has everything that the old LD4B did, right size and pattern for your engine like the LD4B, but it's new/ available.

If you had to disconnect a wire from your carb, that is the electronic choke feed. Electric chokes are nice for the street. If you run a manual choke, you have to set it with a push/ pull cable/ knob and fit it to your dash. For the street, use an electric choke.

Nothing bigger than a 650 cfm carb will be needed. Carb choice has a lot to do with preference of the car's use. Lots of guys who race like the Holley, Quck Fuel and Demon design/ layout, because of ease of tuning and they are simple.

Some folks like the Edelbrock AFB and AVS design/ layout, because they do better on fuel economy tune with some adjustments and leaving it alone.

I bought a Street Demon, which I would not recommend for racing, because of the jet install proceedure requiring the carb to be removed from the intake, but for street use, it has the design principals of a Carter Thermo Quad or Rochester QuadraJet and have small primary bores for good response with a large secondary for power when you want it.

Research your carbs a bit online and see what you want out of your car, then make a decision.

Ok so I have spent the last 3 days for about 4 hours a day filtering threw threads of different builds. I have learned a lot of useful information but I still have as much understandable knowledge about building my engine as bill Clinton has about monogamy. My goal is a street build not a strip near me so that's ok. I'm more of a rubber melting stoplight to stoplight driver anyway. my daily driver is a new camaro so if someone sends me home with my tail between my legs while driving the dart i run home and grab that. anyways i have no idea about what cam to run. i think i am pretty sold on the weiand air intake. not sure on a carb yet maybe an edelbrock 650 or so. also wondering about some cheap heads not sure if i need different heads? been reading about the 302s but my lack of knowledge is making me skidish on pulling the trigger on anything. as far as emissions my state doesnt have any. i live in montana so its cold in the winter and wont be driving the dart then anyways. so cat deletes and such are ok with me. i also want to get a stall converter and i have been told to throw away my distributor and coil and go with a petronix vacuum advance and matching coil? the only thing i have actually had the guts to purchase was a set of flowmaster 40s. thanks for ur help so far and please continue to aid in my effort. my pocketbook isnt endless but i have plenty of time to acquire the right parts.

Ok so I pulled the trigger bought the weiand action plus intake, com cams extreme energy cam and timing kit 477 lift, edelbrock 600, and a set of hooker comp headers. Now I need to figure out which tranny is in my car so I can find the right tc. Then port the heads and shave them a bit and the car will head to paint. Any ideas on a tc?

Your car should have a 904 transmission; look at the recommended stall speed for the cam, and maybe go up a couple hundred RPM for some snappier take off. And since you bought the 268/276 XE cam, make sure it'll play nice with your springs and such...in other words, since you plan to have the heads off, have your machinist check them out and set them up for that cam and certainly check your piston to valve clearance.

Headers: since you bought them, you may have to alter your shifter linkage...look at the instructions, and there's probably someone on here who's done it and put up pictures to assist the rest of us. Since you pulled the trigger on better headers, you might as well look into a full dual setup...maybe 2 1/4" with a balance pipe to enhance your low end, midrange.

Torque converter, the more you spend, the better off you'll be. Fortunately, you're not going to require a big one, so a custom converter isn't necessarily needed. I'll defer to the gurus on this one though, and I truly don't know which converter to recommend...

Also since you plan to run a stall, and this warmed over cam, might want to look into some gears...like 3.55s. I'm going to guess* your car probably has an 8 1/4" rear, but you'll need to crawl up under and ID it...also, post up some pics :)

Oh-and welcome to FABO!

Jeff

-
Back